The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fuzz on soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: fushia's| Next thread: Fuzzy »
Back to Thread index
by ntjhouston on February 20, 2004 08:38 PM
Hello everyone!

I recently bought and re-potted a smaller jade plant. It's only been a couple of days and now there is white fuzz growing on the soil.......help me!! I love houseplants and haven't had much luck growing them........

by Jiffymouse on February 21, 2004 04:27 AM
[wayey] hi ntj [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. about your fuzz. sounds like mold. i would think that maybe you have the soil too moist, and maybe you didn't use fresh, sterile potting soil. the answer is to scoop off the fuzz, then let the soil dry out through the top inch or so before watering again. this is only for your jade, but jades are easy to kill with kindness. they prefer it on the dry side. keep us posted!
by lxygurl on February 21, 2004 04:25 PM
When I had white fuzz on the soil of my golden pothos, I was told it was some kind of mite. It was also killing the plant very quickly. I don't know if this is the same case or not but I scooped as much off as I could. Then when I watered it the next few times I used some soap in the water. On a very warm day in the fall, took it outside and drenched it with the soapy water. I had suds everywhere. Then I flushed it all through with just plain water. I left it outside for a few hours in the sun to drain before I brought it back in. I haven't had a problem since. A few months later i had to repot it in a bigger pot because it was growing very nicely again. Good luck!
by Will Creed on February 22, 2004 12:38 AM
Hi Newbie,

The fuzz is a mold that has come from using soil that is contaminated with mold spores. I suggest that you unpot your Jade, remove the soil that you added, leaving just the original soil, then repot your jade into its original pot. Jades do best in small pots and they rarely need repotting.

You probably should not use that contaminated soil with any of your other indoor plants. It can be use outdoors.
by ntjhouston on February 22, 2004 01:43 AM
Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fushia's| Next thread: Fuzzy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: