The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese evergreen

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Chinese evergreen| Next thread: Chinese fan palm problems »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on February 11, 2004 09:45 PM
A co-worker gave me part of a chinese evergreen. It has about 8 nice leaves on it but the roots are short; about 1/2 inch.
I didn't want to continue the rooting process as she was doing it water so I found the smallest pot I could hoping the soil would aid in the growth of the roots as well as new leaves. The pot is small about the size of a baby's first cup. Anything else I should be doing? I mist it from time to time as well [tongue]
by Newt on February 13, 2004 08:14 PM
Hi Sy,
Your chinese evergreen comes in different varieties. They like low light - no direct sun and water when the soil is dry. Since you have such a small root system, you might want to water when the top inch of soil is dry until you have a larger root system. Don't mist the plant. Here's a site that should be helpful. The botanical name is Aglaonema and there are pictures of 4 different ones here. Click on the pictures for care info.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/galleryindex.html

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Will Creed on February 14, 2004 11:08 PM
As a general rule of thumb for cuttings rooted in water, it is best to wait for the roots to be at least an inch long before potting them up. However, a half inch is certainly doable if you are very careful about watering properly. Smaller roots have less margin for error than longer roots.

Selecting a small pot was a good move. Water thoroughly and then wait until the surface of the soil feels barely dry before watering again.

Lots of bright indirect light is best. Misting is neither good nor bad.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chinese evergreen| Next thread: Chinese fan palm problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: