The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing in water alone

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Hot Peppers...| Next thread: growing Jade plants »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 07, 2006 08:50 AM
I was at the hospital in February for a routine visit /mamorgram. I noticed in the lobby was this huge beautiful philodendron. I asked the lady at the desk as I was leaving if I could possibly steal a snipping from it, since it was so huge. She should me a cutting she had done from it and had placed in the desk and she had it growing in nothing but water and the roots were just taking off every where in that vase. My sister is also doing the same thing and her plant is stretching across her living room ceiling just about.

So I brought a cutting home. Now these plants are so easy to grow, you just put them in some thing and they take care of themselves. I even had a huge on in my kitchen when we were stationed in Alaska for four years.

However, this cutting does not seem to be doing anything. I put it in a glass vase, added water and left it alone. It sits on top of my tower computer desk. But it is not doing anything. This is since February when I brought it home. I mean how can a person screw up growing one of these plants? They are so simple to deal with? But so far, I have gotten not one new growth from it. It is not dead, still green, just not growing. Should I add miracle grow to the water since or miracid since it stays green all the time. Would that help?

Thanks for any information. I feel like such a failure with this. Such a simple plant to deal with normally. [wavey]
by DowntoEarth on May 07, 2006 04:51 PM
[wavey] Maybe it would benefit with a little more brighter indirect light???
by joclyn on May 07, 2006 04:53 PM
did any roots form?

maybe it needs more or less light than it's getting?

what particular kind is it?

i took a cutting from something at the place i used to work at...i had it in a vase so that it would root...it took a few months before the roots formed - and it didn't do anything until then. no new growth at all. once the roots finally started it would lose a leaf and get a new one. so i basically had the same thing for years!!! i finally moved it to a spot where it got more light and low & behold, the thing started taking off!

i just finally posted in the mystery section about it because, all this time, i had no idea what it was. it's an arrowhead vine...not what you have, but maybe the same applies?

try putting it somewhere where the lighting is different - maybe it'll start taking off for you.

giving it some food couldn't hurt either.
by preciousgreenfingers on May 07, 2006 08:53 PM
My philodendron also took months to root. IT just stayed in water doing nothing-was nice and green all the time. Then one fine day- it formed roots and is now very big. I've taken lots of cuttings from it and all are doing great! Maybe a little patience:-)
by sapphire on May 08, 2006 04:56 AM
I was thinking of adding Miracle Grow to the water, then I decided that first I would replace the water, so I cleaned it all out, wiped out any gummy build up, then I added fresh rain water in the vase and replaced the plant. Rain water is suppose to have more of the minerals and things that plants naturally need. So it has all new fresh liquid. I also think it maybe needs to be moved to where it can get more natural light, however our house is pretty much shaded until 2:00 and then we get that really hot, heat sinking middle of the day heat. So I guess I need to maybe take it out on the front porch to give it indirect light. I am not sure if having under a light bulb would be the same. Thanks for your help [wavey]
by joclyn on May 08, 2006 06:20 AM
the light bulb will work...i have the lights on my plant stand on a timer so that the plants get light as per the natural light cycle (light turns on at daybreak and off at nightfall).
by gardeningmomma on May 08, 2006 01:55 PM
My cuttings took months to root as well. It drove me nuts until they grew [nutz]
by Tonya on May 08, 2006 04:17 PM
I agree with the light theory...I had one just like that in my bedroom and it did nothing...I moved it to my kitchen and it took off and I had to find a pot to plant it in because it had filled the vase with roots. Good luck!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by RugbyHukr on May 09, 2006 03:09 AM
change the water weekly, also, a high nitrogen fertilizer would benefit. philodendrons grow slowly.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by guero75 on May 09, 2006 04:36 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. As long as the plant looks fine and isn't turning black and mushy (stem/root rot), then you are doing fine. Plants, like people, need time to acclimate. I have quite a few varieties of philodendron that have lived soley in water for years. I just put a piece of charcoal in with them to keep the water sweet, and watch them go.
by Frisha on May 10, 2006 03:15 AM
I actually gave up planting one of mine in soil everytime I have planted it in soil it slowly starts dieing and doesn't recover untill I cut the dead part off and stick what is still alive back in a jar of water. I do give this a does of food every few weeks and change the water fairly offen. The others I have do well in soil but this one I am down to one sprig left now after my many attempts to get it to survie in soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Hot Peppers...| Next thread: growing Jade plants »
Back to Thread index