The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Unwelcome house guests!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Cassalo on April 10, 2006 05:32 AM
I just brought home a hybrid ficus, but after I took it out of it's planter, I noticed that there were millipedes (or something that looks like them) in the bottom. There were atleast 6 or 7 and they were all different sizes. I wanted it to be a house plant, but with these little buggers in the soil, I don't think I can keep him in here. So my three questions are:
-Is there anything I can do to get rid of these little guys so my ficus can live inside?
-Are they hurting my plant?
-If I can't get rid of them, can my ficus live out on my balacony this summer? (I live in Chicago)
Thanks so much for any help!!!

Cassy
by margaret e. pell on April 10, 2006 01:10 PM
I don't have a ficus, but I do get millipedes in my plants. Many of my plants go outside every summer and always some have millipedes crawling in and out the bottom hole when I bring them back inside. I notice no problem for the plants and after they've been in a week or 2, there are no more bugs. Your ficus might like your balcony this summer, depending on sunlight, but it can't go there now. Millipedes won't hurt you, but you can bug-spray the saucer the pot sits on, spray a tissue and stuff it into the hole, and make sure NO water sits in the saucer after watering. It's the dark dampness the bugs want. Enjoy your plant and don't focus on the bugs; they'll pas

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by DowntoEarth on April 11, 2006 12:12 PM
I had those things in the bottom of a citrus I bought last fall. I just happened to take out the root-ball from the pot to look at the roots and there they were,like ten of them in the bottom of the pot where it was moist, the rest of the soil up was dry.
So I just spilled them outside, then kept checking in case I missed any, but that was it.

You can also try bringing the critters up to the top at watering time by setting the whole pot in water, outside if you can, up to just past the soil line, they need to breath, so they will come up, then either scoop them out, or add more water so they spill out over the sides.

Susan
by mycateatspiderplants on April 13, 2006 07:58 AM
millipedes wont eat yur plant leaves or roots, so i dont mind them much- i usually just let them go when i find them. they like to hide in cool dark damp places and feed on rotting things (which i doubt you have 'rotting' leaves and things in your pot) so thats why after a while they seem to disappear.
[flower]

saving one pet wont change the world, but surely the world will change for that one pet....
by Cassalo on April 17, 2006 12:48 PM
Thank you all for your help! I decided to leave him outside on my balcony (no extra bugs should make it into him up on the second floor!) for the next week or so since it's been pretty nice out. I'll check it again in a couple days to see if the little buggers are gone and then bring him back inside. Thanks again!

Cassy

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: