The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rooterpot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: root rot?| Next thread: rooting »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 23, 2006 09:14 AM
I saw this on HGTV this past weekend and thought it was neat.

Ever had trouble propagating cuttings of woody plants because they rot? Here's the solution. This reusable rooting pot (figure D) makes propagating cuttings a snap, in large part because the future cutting takes root while still attached to the parent plant.
First, identify a six- to eight-inch section of branch to be rooted, and make a circular cut around the branch, exposing roughly a half-inch length of tissue just inside the bark layer. This is the portion of the branch from which new roots will emerge. Wrap the pot around the exposed tissue and close.

It may be necessary to support the branch with a stake, given the weight of the pot. Stuff the pot with moist sphagnum moss, and secure the lid on top of the pot.

You'll need to add water to the pot once a week or so, but that's all you have to do. Within two to four months, depending on the plant, you should have a well-developed root system inside the pot. At that point, simply cut the branch just below the pot, remove the cutting and plant it--either in a container or in the ground.

PattyM
by kennyso on August 23, 2006 09:27 AM
Think this is called air layering. I've never tried it before but I've heard you can be quite successful with this method.You can just tear apart one of those Jiffy peat pots , wrap it around the branch wound and wrap in plastic. Tie both ends of the plastic and you're done. You're a quick poster! 186 posts in less than one month!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by ND farm girl on August 23, 2006 10:50 AM
THAT'S what air layering is? I didn't know what that subject was and never looked.

180+ posts - is that a lot? Am I abusing you all for knowledge? [thinker]

PattyM
by tkhooper on August 23, 2006 11:11 AM
I've done over 5,000 18 months so your still in good shape. We even give you nice signature button awards when you get to greater numbers of posts. So don't worry. We love posts. just not multiple posts of the same thing in different rooms. That against the rules.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 23, 2006 12:17 PM
Patty, post at least one more in this thread and give us the link to the article you quoted. [Big Grin] I'd like to see the "reusable rooting pot in figure D." That sounds like a much simpler way to propagate than by any of the layer methods.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by kennyso on August 23, 2006 12:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ND farm girl:
THAT'S what air layering is? I didn't know what that subject was and never looked.

180+ posts - is that a lot? Am I abusing you all for knowledge? [thinker]

Don't worry, I don't bother looking anything up before I posta question!

Actually, 180 isn't a lot compared to the hostesses (10 000!), but it's just that it took me so long to explore everything and lurk around before I posted anything (guess that's me, didn't want to soun dtoo stupid!)

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by ND farm girl on August 23, 2006 03:44 PM
HGTV link to Rooter Pot
Here you go Rosie! I thought it was neat. The guy on this show is funny - sorta - weird - etc. [tongue]

(just shortened your URL Kenny! Weezie)

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 12:36 AM
Thanks Patty...now all we need to do is find a source for the pots. [Wink]

BTW, that funny, weird guy on Gardening by the Yard is Paul James, a good ol' boy from Tulsa. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 24, 2006 03:07 AM
I think it lists it at the bottom of the website for HGTV.

PattyM
by imarose on August 26, 2006 02:28 PM
Farm Girl......Thanks for the info and link to the rooterpot. I just ordered 3 of them. [flower]
by weezie13 on August 26, 2006 02:36 PM
Here's another place you can get them from...
The Rooter Pot from Lee Valley Tools

I wish I could afford some...
I'd have about 50 of them... [Cool]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by imarose on August 26, 2006 04:00 PM
Weezie......the small ones are only $1.98 or something like that. I ordered 3 sm and 1 lg for a total of $11.00 i think. That includes shipping. Maybe I can figure out how to make my own after I see these. I got them at...Pinetree Garden Seeds. I might have found them cheaper but didn't want to keep on looking.
by weezie13 on August 26, 2006 04:18 PM
The one's from Lee Valley are set of 5 for $11.95...
(that's about $2 something each)

But I originally used duct tape...
for my rooting experiments...

It's a long story..

When I was a kid, just getting into house plants,
I had an Angel Winged Begonia... I loved, it was so tall and pretty.. and I was moving it one time and the top half broke [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
it was probably about 3/4 of the way broken off..
and in my early, "believing stage", in my mind, I thought if I took duct tape, taped it around the stem *backwards, so it stuck apon it's self and not the stem* and thought it would regrow..

Well, a bunch of weeks later, I tugged on it..
and it seemed sturdy..
Well, I left it a bit longer to make certain..
When I opened it up, there were a ton of white roots all along the node of the stem where the leaf met the stem.. and in the darkness of the ducttape, it rooted all on it's own...
Hence came the begining of a humongus interest in gardening.

So, taking the duct tape works..

Also, taking a ziplock baggie, slit down on side of the bag it'self.. put in some spagnum moss like or a bit of bagged soil, or maybe even some damp peat moss and shove it in the baggie on either side of it like...
Then take that baggie and wrap it around the stem of what you want to propagate and then duct tape it around....
***sometimes slitting the plant/stem/bark about 3/4 of the way thru, so the momma plant still can feed the part you're trying to root but will feel threatened enough to make roots too***

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by imarose on August 26, 2006 06:30 PM
Weezie
Now,that's a simple way to propogate. Have u ever done it with the duct tape again? I know there are tons of ways to do it, and I should be more creative. Thanks.
by weezie13 on August 27, 2006 04:45 AM
I never redid it with the duct tape to be honest..
But I did do it with the ziplock baggie..

Had mixed results with it...

Tried a Caryoptris bush and a limb that broke..
But I don't think I kept it watered, or maybe too
much sun.. or the part I used was too woody maybe as well..
Not sure..
but it is fun experiment!!!

I personally would do it by those rooter pots,
if I had the extra $$'s...*always a day late and a dollar short ya know* [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: root rot?| Next thread: rooting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: