The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Queen Anne's Lace (The wild carrot)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Carly on July 17, 2004 04:51 PM
I love that stuff when I see it in the park, the woodlands, in the scrub of roadsides, etc.

I want some - how do you gather seeds from it? Anybody know?

'Cause one way or the other, I'm going to grow some.

Pots? Can I do it? Or do they absolutely have to be in the ground?

:-0

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Phil and Laura on July 17, 2004 07:24 PM
Carly, If you were to plant Q.A.L., you Probably would want to either try a large container, or some mechanical means to control it. Queen Anne's Lace is quite an aggressive plant. It is a biennial, so lives only 2 years, thus never forms a big root mass like daisies or other perennial wildflowers. However, it is such a prolific seeder, it does spread rapidly, and is almost impossible to eradicate.It's now established in every State. It's beautiful in the wildflower meadow I am not so sure in the garden.

If you want to plant it, easiest way is to gather a handful of the seeds from a plant dying down in the fall. They seem to be everywhere. But there is also another option. Try an annual named Ammi majus. It's the flower common in the cut flower trade as "Queen Anne's Lace", and is also sometimes called "Bishop's Flower." The two look very similar, but the latter doesn't last in your soil forever as Daucus does.If you want to purchase seed, which is a good Idea as QAL can cross pollinate with water hemlock, and be a dangerous "herbal" tea. Queen Ann Lace Seed
by Bestofour on July 18, 2004 12:39 AM
I have that stuff growing in the pecan orchard when we don't bush hog it. It is beautiful. I'll try to gather some seed for you before we do that again. Send me an address.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Meg on July 18, 2004 05:48 AM
I couldn't cut my grass for a couple weeks, due to a water logged mower. Finally borrowed my friend's mower as I couldn't take my jungle anymore. BUT, I left a few weeds growing here and there.. I just went around them with the mower. I left some chicory, there were several of those. And I left some Queens Lace. I only had one tiny patch growing in the center of my yard, and one slightly larger off the end of my yard, so I left them. There also happens to be some HUGE ones on my fence, but on the outside, on the neighbors side.. so I'm leaving them go, unless the neighbors feel like whacking them down. [grin]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Carly on July 18, 2004 07:04 AM
Thanks Bestofour - I sent you an inter mail - just visited your link and looked at some of your pictures.

That looks like a lovable dog you have.

And the flowers, of course - wonderful!

-------------------

Thanks Meg - hope the QAL doesn't become a problem for you.

-------------------

ANd Laura - thanks for the advice - yes, I know there's a lot of stuff that looks like it. I don't really know the diff - I think the QEL develops in a big ball? The other stuff is a flat disk of flowers?

I'm not too worried about it spreading over the lot - there's a lot of wild stuff here. I think I'm the first person who planted any store bought flowers out there in years.

Most of my gardening on that lot has been with the wild weeds and wildflowers there.

Now, my table garden, on the picnic table - well, I'm having a mix of things there.

Oh, I'd better stop - I'll be here all night.

:-0

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: