The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sundrops (Oenothera)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Sundials| Next thread: Sunflower Buds »
Back to Thread index
by floweraddict on June 05, 2005 02:43 PM
Anyone growning sundrops in zone 7?
If so, what kind of soil are u growing them in and are they easy to control from spreading?

My grandmother had some in her garden years ago when i was a young boy, but that was in Vermont. Just wondering how they do in the South.....

I have many native flowers in my garden and i would like to have some of everything. I know sundrops prefer well-drained soil; so, i would probably have to create a raised bed for them.
I know it's kind of late in the spring to start them, but i was thinking of at least getting them out in the fall so they will bloom next season.

Bob
 -
by floweraddict on June 06, 2005 07:17 AM
I think i found the answer to my own question... I was driving in the mts of NC this afternoon and i spotted some sundrops growing wild on the side of the road. The location seemed to be rather shady, but they were doing quite well;so, i dug up about 4 clumps.... [dunno] I also dug up some verbena that i spotted on the edge of a field... [thumb]

Bob
 -
by weezie13 on June 06, 2005 07:24 AM
Hey Bob,
Are you talking about these??
Oenothera /Sundrops

I have `em...
Planted them and haven't done a thing to them
since... They're quite hardy..

The lady that gave them to me,
just yanked them out of the dirt
and handed them to me,
I about died, when I saw the way she
treated them, and she said, don't worry
they'll survive..
Yikes, they survived alright!!

VERY HARDY little plants..
They spread by underground runners..
And spread they do.....
I swear every year I'm gonna rip them out,
but when they start bloomin', I'm like,
Nahhhhhhh, not this year..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by floweraddict on June 06, 2005 08:01 AM
Yes, thats them- thanks!

I planted them this evening. I'll probably put something around them to keep the roots from spreading. Nothing bugs me more than a plant that tries to take over a garden! [Frown] They are pretty though.

Bob
 -
by alankhart on June 07, 2005 07:37 PM
I made the mistake of planting them in one of my beds and they quickly overtook the entire bed. It took me a while to finally get them all out. They should definitely be planted inside a root barrier or in an area where they can spread at will. They don't seem too particular about soil or sun, but seem to do better with more sun.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sundials| Next thread: Sunflower Buds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: