The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Horseradish

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Horse Poopie| Next thread: Horseradish ? »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 04, 2006 01:39 AM
My horseradish is on it's 3rd set of leaves is this normal in one growing season? The leaves will mature and then die and another set will come up. I don't really want to dig up the root again to check on it since I already dug it up accidently once thinking it was a weed lol. So if you have any information please let me know.

-
 -
by Bill Swiderski on July 04, 2006 01:38 PM
I have horseradish and it often dies off in extreme heat and comes back. This is normal. Archeologist that look for the original pilgrim farms look for the horse radish. It's still there. Next to impossible to kill unless you pave over it. Even then I'm not so sure.
Billbagdaddy
by tkhooper on July 05, 2006 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info Bill. I've never grown it before. But I certainly am getting the hot temperatures.

While we are on this subject. I bought horseradish at the store a couple of years ago and made horseradish sauce. I found the root to be so hard that it was almost impossible to grate. If I use if fresh out of the garden will it be easier to grate?

-
 -
by Lorena on July 09, 2006 05:11 PM
I have mine planted in full sun to partial shade, sorta under a willow tree. It took it awhile to start growing after transplanting it this early spring as it didn't like the cold temps we were having... I've heard it doesn't like below freezing and you should dig it up, store some root and replant in the spring as the root will get woody. The plant I sent you is from some that is 10 years old that was growing in a very hot desert climate. As far as grating it, I would think a fresh root would be easier to grate than one in the store, lol! Mine hasn't grown the leaves like you mentioned, probably because it's not in full sun.

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 11:45 PM
So late fall I dig it up and use some but leave 8 to 10 inches on it and store that in the crisper until the following spring? Then plant it? I'm looking forward to fall to see how it has done.

-
 -
by Longy on July 10, 2006 11:58 PM
here's a site with a bit of basic info re the horseradish TK. http://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/horseradish_info.html

-
The secret is the soil.
by tkhooper on July 11, 2006 01:45 AM
That article seems to say that I can leave it in the ground. I am in zone 7. Maybe I should take a piece of the root indoors and keep it in the crisper and leave some out and see how it does.

I look forward to trying that recipe for horseradish. That looks to be the one for creamy horseradish. The other recipe I have is for regular horseradish and it isn't all that great.

Thanks for the info Longy.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Horse Poopie| Next thread: Horseradish ? »
Back to Thread index