The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Unidentified Pepper and Question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: unidentified houseplant pest| Next thread: unidentified Succulent »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on August 11, 2006 04:17 AM
Hello all [Smile]

I was at a farmers market a few weeks back and this nice (korean or thai I believe) couple was selling these adorable pepper plants. (see pics below). The first plant had tiny green peppers all over that eventually turn to red. The second plant had tiny purple pepper all over that also eventually turn to red. The peppers are very very spicy.

My question is...there are tons of ripe peppers on these plants, should I pick them off so they keep producing? What can I do to preserve all those peppers? (only 1 is needed to make anything super spicy)

Thanks for any insight!

-

-

-

-
by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 04:44 AM
I usually de-seed and chop my peppers then toss them in a baggie and then they go in the freezer. What adorable plants!! And, boy, are they loaded with peppers. Lucky you!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by penny in ontario on August 11, 2006 04:59 AM
I have had one of those decrative pepper plants and on the little stick that came with it, it said that they didnt advise that you eat them...now it didnt say why..so do be careful!

-
 -

-
by Deborah L. on August 11, 2006 09:39 AM
Hey, Marina, my latest radish seeds are up-giving them another try now.
I thinned them to one radish per 4 inches, so maybe this time I'll get something besides red strings ! (I hope !) [dunno] [grin]

-
 -
by Marina on August 11, 2006 10:35 AM
LOL Deborah [Smile]

I managed to get about 4 TINY radishes from my last crop. I have to wait some time before trying again, as its in the 100s and upper 90s here lately!

I plan to do them in containers with all new soft fluffy soil [Smile]
by Deborah L. on August 11, 2006 11:02 AM
Mine are in containers too, with good potting soil.
This time it's gonna work ! Hopefully.....
[Embarrassed] [Wink]

-
 -
by StaceyRoop on August 17, 2006 03:28 AM
They look like Jalepeno Peppers to me. You only need a small amount to spice anything up! Some people dry them and then use it like a spice....still only need just a tad in anything!!!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Jalapeno%20&sa=N&tab=wi

Scroll down the page just a bit and there is a picture of a plant just like yours.

What would you do today if you knew you would die tomorrow?
www.freewebs.com/endofthelinefarm/
by comfrey on August 17, 2006 07:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StaceyRoop:
They look like Jalepeno Peppers to me.
Jalepeno's do not grow pointed upwards...they grow downwards...So I don't think they are Jalepeno.

-
 -
by Budman on August 18, 2006 05:46 AM
I cant remember the name of the variety, but I saw some Thai peppers for sale in one of my catalogs and it looked the same way. The description was also the same. I would bet that you could dry them for future use....
by StaceyRoop on August 20, 2006 06:06 AM
Oh well I thought it was the angle of the picture but after looking at it again I see what you are saying.

What would you do today if you knew you would die tomorrow?
www.freewebs.com/endofthelinefarm/
by artful_blond on August 23, 2006 03:27 AM
If you'd like, you could can them. My hubby and I pickled peppers last summer. Just go to Google and search for pickled pepper recipes and find one you like. (He particularly likes the ones with carrots and peppers together.) Do watch out for the ones with added olive oil, though, unless you really like olive oil!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: unidentified houseplant pest| Next thread: unidentified Succulent »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: