The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Does anyone grow kiwi?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by jfredt on July 28, 2006 04:43 AM
I just bought some kiwi vines over the internet and was curious if anyone has tried them before. Thet are supposed to be cold hardy and grow real fast and produce fruit in 2-3 years. Any advice?
by badplanter on July 28, 2006 05:15 AM
Where on the internet did you get them? I've always wanted to grow kiwi!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Bill on July 28, 2006 05:32 AM
Kiwi

-
by jfredt on July 28, 2006 07:33 AM
I ordered them from direct gardening. They have some bad press but I have been quite satisfied with the things I have ordered from them. I have not received the kiwi yet so I can let you know. It is hard to beat thier prices though. Go to go to Direct gardening.com then go to the vines section.
by DeepCreekLake on July 28, 2006 12:41 PM
I planted 6 hardy kiwis last year- Argutas. I got mine in late summer, and planted them then- they started growing well until frost, and the leaves dropped. They never resprouted this spring and all died (all 6 of them!) So much for being cold hardy. I even built a T bar trellis for them, ended up using the trellis to grow some hardshell gourds this year instead.
P.S. You need both a male and female kiwi plant to set fruit. There actually alot of different kinds of kiwis- including a red fleshed one (Kens Red)
by Amigatec on July 28, 2006 02:23 PM
I have 2 plants myself, both are Issai, which are self fruiting.

One is doing real good and the other is still alive.

But remember they like a LOT of water.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: