The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Not A Pest!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Not a ladybug| Next thread: Not big but... »
Back to Thread index
by Dixie Angel on August 17, 2005 10:09 AM
Depending on your point of view, though, I reckon. Angel was trying to protect Momma!

I went out to unplug the bug lamp we have on the deck one morning and found this critter. Problem is...Angel found it, too. I told her it was a good bug and told her to leave it alone, but she wouldn't come in the house until I hollered "BALL!" She went running into the patio doors to get the ball then.

-

-

That is a praying mantis, is it not? My first thought was a walking stick because it was so large, but after zooming in with Jim's camera's, I saw it praying. Probably praying that Angel liked balls better that bugs.....

Dianna

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on August 17, 2005 10:46 AM
Praying mantis, definitely not a walking stick Aren't those just the coolest? I think I'm a closeted entomologist [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Meg on August 17, 2005 07:36 PM
Mary, I thought you already came out of the closet? [Wink] [Big Grin]

Seriously, those buggies are so cool!! I've had a few praying mantis' in my yard this year.. but I've rarely seen walking sticks.

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Dixie Angel on August 17, 2005 07:46 PM
Thanks for the link to the walking stick, Mary. I don't know if I would have had the thing on my hand for pictures after everything I have read about them.

The Mantis was HUGE, so my first thought was walking stick but with the link you posted I could definitely see a big difference.

Meg, you are a hoot and a half!

Dianna

-
 -
by thebearswoman on August 18, 2005 05:47 AM
You know what is really cool when a praying mantis breeds. The female bites the head of the males off while in the act! But, they are a beneficial insect and can eat the bugs that eat some plants!
by 4Ruddy on August 26, 2005 08:32 AM
quote:
The female bites the head of the males off while in the act!
Please don't anyone tell Cindy this statement is posted here.....the topic will go on for DAYS!!!!

Good grief Mary...I have NEVER seen a walking stick that BIG! That is one bad boy there!!!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Triss on August 26, 2005 08:43 AM
Shhhh Vanessa, don;t say her name too loud. She will hear!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weezie13 on August 26, 2005 09:35 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Not a ladybug| Next thread: Not big but... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: