The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cut worm help, please!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Cut gladiolas for vase| Next thread: Cut worms »
Back to Thread index
by sachis2112 on January 17, 2005 02:47 AM
I've recently indentified one of my pests as a cut worm. Ick! I'm concerned about using pesticides which will take care of them as well as slugs, earwigs, snails and ants for me but I REALLY, REALLY want to because I have a big earwig and ant problem as well.

I'm concerned because there are many cats in the neighborhood. Nematodes are pretty close to out of the question because I don't think they'll work for me with how dry it can get here.

Will someone please explain to me how these buggers think? What plants will they go after? I haven't been successful in keeping the cats out of any given area so I really need help. The cutworms have even worked their way into my raised planters!!! These planters have bottoms on them with 1/8-1/4" drain holes! How did they get in there????

-
by weezie13 on January 18, 2005 11:57 PM
Sachi,
I'll see if the Buglady/Suzanne can tell you!!
Hold on a bit and I'll PM her!!!

I don't have those buggers so I'm not too
sure about them???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by sachis2112 on January 19, 2005 12:47 AM
Since my original post, I've learned that I have two different kinds. One's white, one's tan. One of them possibly can climb.

But that's about all.

Thanks, Weezie.

-
by weezie13 on January 19, 2005 12:52 AM
I was reading about them,
there's also a black one too!!!

I first thought maybe some kind
of sticky paper at first to catch the
moth part of them, *should be some type
of flying insect before or after they are
caterpillers???* some go to a yellow paper???

Not sure, I'm sure the Buglady has something
that will help???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by sachis2112 on January 19, 2005 12:59 AM
Weezie, if you've never had them, I would pray that you never do. OMG, they are gross!

Like 2" long, about 1/2" diameter! Blech! White with a nasty little red head. The tannish one has a black head. Ugh! I'm shuddering just thinking about it. I read somewhere that you have an "infestation" if you find 3 within a 3' x 3' area. I'm so far beyond infestation it's not even funny. There were 5 within a 6" x 6" area!

-
by Buglady on January 19, 2005 04:40 AM
Sorry took so long to reply... I am down in FL lecturing this week. Anyhow cutworms... use beneficial nematodes... they work great for them and organic. I am actually in FL lecturing [teacher] on Organics and nematodes this week.

Will be lecturing in VA in 2 weeks.... [teacher]

but Nematodes are great for cutworms / armyworms and safe to use. [thumb]

Good luck!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by sachis2112 on January 19, 2005 09:57 AM
Thanks, Bug Lady! I've been checking around but haven't yet found any locals selling nematodes. I'm also concerned about keeping the ground wet for them. We've already been having 70 degree weather here! Not long before we're back up to 100. [Frown]

I'll keep hunting. I've got some other kind of funky wormy that might be a green beetle larva... guess I better take care of that one too.

-
by Buglady on February 08, 2005 02:27 AM
I doubt you will find someone local selling them. You will have to get them from the net from one of the producers like www.nematodary.com If you buy direct from producer they will be cheeper.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cut gladiolas for vase| Next thread: Cut worms »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: