The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Palm Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Palm Trees| Next thread: Palmettos »
Back to Thread index
by davidtx on April 19, 2004 05:51 PM
[wayey] Hello All, [dunno] was thinking of putting in some palm trees , but not sure about my zone. does anyone know if they will do good here in central tx 8a i think, have some Pompas grass maybe put the palm trees between them, location is near the lake s edge. [thumb] ????
by Jon on April 19, 2004 06:41 PM
hi David - -

Will all depend on what type of palm you want to put in. A Washingtonia (either a California Fan palm or a Mexican Fan palm) should be ok. Also, you will want to consider how high you want it to grow and how quickly. For example the Washingtonias are known for rapid growth while a Mediterrean palm is much slower. Also the Mexican Fan can reach heights of 90 - 100 feet, while the California Fan is much shorter (60 feet) - - though it does take quite a few years to do so, while others will reach 40 feet after numerous years. Both take well to the sun and high temps - while still performing in a bit better climate (USDA 8 - 11).

The Mediterranean palm (sometimes called European Fan) has a wider diversity in zones - 6 - 11 but only grows to 10 feet. It is a very slow growth palm.

The Sago - is a good choice for indoors - but sounds like you are looking for outdoors. Or course there are other types of palms as well - some with some very different type leaf structure.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening/aridplants/images/Washingtonia_sp_mixed.jpg

the "fatter" palms in the foreground are the California, the thinner ones are the Mexican.

I have a Mexican Fan now - and it has put forth - in 2 months since I put it in - about 6 new "leafs" and lost 3 from "age", which I'm told is normal.

Date palms - if you're thinking of the fruit - are harder to grow from what I've read and you have to have both the male and female - and I haven't found anything yet to tell me how to id the gender on them (can't say I've looked hard though).

Jon
by davidtx on April 19, 2004 08:36 PM
[flower] thanks Jon, looked at the pics. thinking i like the slimmer ones height doest matter much except wouldnt block any of the view.Just worried about the summer heat & winter cold. will keep thinking on it ! [thinker]
by papito on April 19, 2004 09:51 PM
More info on Date Palms & Palms for South Texas at:

Date Palms for Texas

And, at San Antonio Botanical Garden:

http://www.sabot.org/garden/conservatory/palm.htm

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Jon on April 20, 2004 10:29 AM
David

Don't know what the temperature swings are like where you are -- but --

palms are plentiful in Las Vegas which gets temps approaching 120+ (you won't find "official" temps being reported above 116 - but that is too keep from "scaring away" the tourists - - get a real themometer and actually measure and it does hit 120. Vegas also gets temps down below 32 at night - not too many - but they do get there.

At the same time - - Sierra Vista, AZ (southeast of Tucson) is mountainous high desert and there were days in the winter when I would have enjoyed something in the 30s, let alone the night time temps - and again palms were prevalent with no problems.

What is your zip code and I or someone else can get your "zone" for you.

Jon
by davidtx on April 24, 2004 07:44 AM
thanks Jon & Papito, for ur help. Was interesting looking at the pics [flower] [clappy]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Palm Trees| Next thread: Palmettos »
Back to Thread index