The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowering aloe?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Flowering Almond| Next thread: Flowering Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index
by GiraffeMSW on April 07, 2005 03:49 AM
I went to pick up a palm tree this evening from a woman who bought a foreclosed piece of property and was cleaning it up. While there, she also gave me 3 large aloe plants (dinner plate size with several layers of leaves) that had enormous stalks coming out of them and coral colored flowers. The flower stalks are about 4 feet tall.

I've never seen any of my previous aloe bloom like this. Any clue on what type of aloe this might be?

If need be I can snag a pic.

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 02:28 PM
Post down in mystery plants with a photo and you will probably get a response very quickly. I'd like to see your aloe because I have a varigated type and would like to know if it will bloom.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 02:41 PM
I didn't even know that aloes bloomed! [Embarrassed]

Dianna

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 07, 2005 03:24 PM
Here's 2 pics of some of my outdoor Aloes. They can live in Sun or Shade but,if you want it to flower, it would do better in the sun(the ones I have in full sun flower 3-4 times a year)

-
 -

P.S. The hummers LOVE them!

G-Mom [grin]
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 03:30 PM
I had to bring my aloe in here to see those pics, G-mom. Wanted to show them what they are supposed to do! [Wink]

Dianna

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 07, 2005 03:37 PM
[Wink] [Big Grin] [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 04:07 PM
Hey, the little one looks like mine. Woohoo!!!
I have lots of sun. How big did it have to get before it started doing that? And did you add any bloom type fertilizer to it's diet? And and and what else should I ask?

-
 -
by gardenmom32210 on April 07, 2005 05:07 PM
I don't mess with them too much...they get Miracle Grow every 2 weeks when I do all of my plants. They started blooming when they were about half of the size they are now.

Just remember...the more sun it gets the better chance you have of it blooming [thumb] and blooming and blooming [Big Grin]

G-Mom [grin]
by GiraffeMSW on April 08, 2005 05:24 AM
That's it!!!

Well, I am going to have to rethink where I plant them. I have kept aloe in shady spots previously...but since these guys are already blooming, I'd like to plant them in the sun so they will bloom in the future.

Thanks all!

by tkhooper on April 08, 2005 05:45 AM
Thankyou Gmom,

I've got miracle grow and I will definitely add it to the aloes water. I would love to see it flower.

-
 -
by Tiger38 on April 10, 2005 10:09 PM
Both my Aloes are blooming at this time. They have been blooming for weeks. They bloom off and on 9 months out of the year. Hummers love them. Mine are under Mesquite trees. My neighbor has 1 about 8 ft from mine & it is in sun year round. Mine blooms more than his.

Margaret K
by GiraffeMSW on May 15, 2005 04:19 AM
The Miracle Grow is working! All 3 of my aloes started with a flower and one lost its flower during the transplant (well, it withered up)...but several weeks and two doses of Miracle Grow and it has a brand new flower stalk shooting up!

Who knew aloe was so beautiful! It is adding a great splash of color in an otherwise lush, green area of my yard.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowering Almond| Next thread: Flowering Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: