The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Overwintering tomato plants indoors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Overwintering tomato plant in container?| Next thread: Oxalis »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on October 25, 2005 12:15 AM
Hi all the roma tomato cuttings that I took have rooted and are doing great. So great that one has even sprouted a blossum. I'm going to pinch it off because it would be all by itself and I don't think the energy of the plant should be going to that quite yet. But that does bring up a question I want to ask.

Is there a way I can prune the tomato plants to keep them small. As I have mentioned in other posts my apartment is very small and last year the tomato plants outgrew it within a couple of months.

Thankyou for your time and patience with all my questions.

-
 -
by LMT on October 25, 2005 04:57 AM
Keep the plant right up to the light source. They reach for the light, give them no place to go and they slow down and fill out. (The lower branches catch up.)

A prune option is to top the plant. Then train the two shoots that emerge to grow horizontally. (Think grape vine.)

Don't ask me how I know, it's been 15 years and I don't remember. [lala]

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by tkhooper on October 25, 2005 08:00 AM
thank you lmt. I appreciate the advise.

-
 -
by dodge on October 29, 2005 07:24 AM
[kitty] [flower] [angel]
I been doing indoors for several years ..Tomatoes. Right now I have blossoms and a tomato on new started plants..
I never trim.. Put string on them and let them grow like a vine........The blossoms keep moving up.......ANd tomato..

Your choice. [kitty]
[grin]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by LMT on October 29, 2005 03:49 PM
I'd like to know more about your string method. I moved my computer into the living room to open up the lightest room in the house for plants and have peppers and cedar trees in there right now. The plans are for an indoor herb garden, over wintering peppers and seedlings but I'm always looking for new ideas.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by tkhooper on November 06, 2005 04:19 PM
Just an FYI update...the tomatoes are doing great. I moved them into larger pots because they were getting into everything and I figured it would be easier to do then rather than wait until later. I buried them deeper in the pot so they would grow more roots and possible come up with a thicker stem to help support them. They loved it and have put out buds all over the place.

Wonder if it will harm anything if I let them fruit at this time of year. Anyone know?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Overwintering tomato plant in container?| Next thread: Oxalis »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: