The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hot pepper questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by delawaredrew on July 23, 2005 03:13 AM
HI,
I've been growing several types of hot peppers in big pots this summer here in lower Delaware and they seem as some are taking awfully long to mature. The jalapenos haven't been getting any bigger recently but a sacrificial one a few days ago didn't seem ripe. The cayennes are also still green but grew later so I'm not worried yet and I know that they should go red sooner or later.
I've previously grown habaneros and just picked them as they turned colors depending on the flavor I wanted.
The jals are beginning to develop cracks in the skins. Am I overwatering? Is it time? Other than color is there a good way to tell? I don't think I've ever seen a red or yellow jalapeno though I'd think they will change also.
Similar situation with some grape tomatoes. They've been looking full sized but still green for a while. I've more time off this summer than most summers, maybe am I just noticing their development more?
Thanks
Drew
by Triss on July 25, 2005 09:23 AM
I believe that jalepenos stay green, just get darker. Don't know about the rest since, I too am just starting with growing peppers.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weezie13 on July 25, 2005 11:48 AM
Drew,
As far as any Jalapeno I've grown,
quote:
The jals are beginning to develop cracks in the skins.
when they get those cracks
or brown woody lookin' stripes on them, they are way ready to pick...

I can't remember seeing any red or yellow Jalap's..
Red tinged maybe......

quote:
Similar situation with some grape tomatoes. They've been looking full sized but still green for a while.
Some of the cherry/grape sized tomatoes stay
a greenish color...
I am not sure, but could be a stress issue, watering, sunshine, watering, or just the breed/brand etc.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on July 26, 2005 03:43 AM
Yes, cracking indicates maturity, but if you leave jalapenos on the plant they will eventually turn red and crack some more.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by delawaredrew on July 27, 2005 10:16 AM
okay thanks,
the jals are beginning to fall off if you look at them cross-eyed, and the cayeennes I think ar almost there now too. Will peppers still ripen off the plant?
Tomatoes are finally turning, I think I may have been overwatering a little and the pot is getting a little small for the size of the plant; the pot is not shrinking, the tomatoes are really growing in this heat.
Drew
by weezie13 on July 29, 2005 10:47 AM
I think too, that if you take one of the peppers
in your hand, pull up on it, it should snap
right off, no tugging or resistance..
and they're ready...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by delawaredrew on July 29, 2005 09:10 PM
thanks weezie!
the peps are going well, I'm storing some jals in oil to spice it up and cook with as we type. Cayennes are beginning to turn colors so I'm hopeful on those also. Do you think the cayennes I already picked will turn red off the plant?
I have a couple of mystery peppers (I forgot what they are) that have yet to bear but am also confident that they are doing well.
Thanks for all your advice,
Drew
by Sorellina on August 06, 2005 01:56 AM
Be careful harvesting the peppers. I really wouldn't hand-pick them because it's very easy to damage the plant. Instead, use scissors or small pruners to cut the peppers off the plants.

Julianna

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: