The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mysterious seedling pest

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: mysterious plant| Next thread: Mystery Bird »
Back to Thread index
by davisreid on April 23, 2005 09:07 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the post and to gardening. I have a cold frame about 6 ft by 6 ft that is elevated, with sprinkler system and metal racks (like in your oven) laid out inside it to hold the pots. The cold frame has insulated sides, a glass roof and a screen door. It sits on top of our well house. Last year I raised all my seedlings in this house with no trouble.

This year...every time I put a flat of seedlings in the cold frame, I come out the following morning and they are ALL clipped off at soil level.

I have plugged any holes, the screen is tightly closed and I can't find any sign of mice or other critters in my cold frame. I would like to figure out what nasty beasties are feasting on my tender seedlings. Should i sneak out there at night with a flashlight? Put some sticky papers around the pots? Electrify the metal racks? I'm game for whatever ...but I thought some of you here might be able to help me key in on what kind of defense or offense tactics I should start with.

Let the battle begin!

Debbie
by tkhooper on April 23, 2005 10:09 PM
Hi Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any ideas about your pest but I admire your willingness to do battle.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 24, 2005 12:00 AM
Davisreid,

quote:
Should i sneak out there at night with a flashlight?
Yep!!
That may work....

Could be pesky snails or slugs....
See if there's any "slime trails"........

Weezie

P/S We're glad you found us here at The GArden Helper's Forum!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mysterious plant| Next thread: Mystery Bird »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: