The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Old

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Growing Miniature Roses from Seed| Next thread: growing onions »
Back to Thread index
by twwright on June 24, 2006 11:01 PM
I have a hanging basket of petunias that has performed very well for me but is getting old. I say that because as the trailing stems grow further down they continue to bloom but the area from the soil to the next 4 inches or so is bare stem. Male pattern balding? What can I do to encourage this area to begin growing again? Will I have to cut back the plant and lose the blooms on the lower stems? If I have to I have to but was hoping someone knew how to avoid this and get the entire plant beautiful again.
by peppereater on June 25, 2006 10:36 AM
I cut mine back, and I'm waiting to see how well it comes out.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on June 26, 2006 02:47 AM
tww

I didnt cut mine back and it is blooming like crazy in the end of the branch now......I assume your talking of the cascade petunia?//Some one sent me seeds last year and they are great..
Are they only in Purple?/ It is the only color I have seen??????????????

dodge [dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by peppereater on June 26, 2006 04:01 AM
Mine aren't cascade, but I think cascade also comes in red and maybe other colors.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on June 26, 2006 06:36 AM
HHHHHHHHHHHHhhmmmmmmmmmmm

Didnt know that .Will have to recruit some of them.........

Thanks dave..

dodge

-
 -
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 06:36 AM
I cut mine back and it is looking so much better. I had that same problem with the long leggy stems and brown with no new growth at the root stem line. I need to do the other but I hate to lose the blooms, but you gotta do what is best for the plant.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 26, 2006 07:55 AM
Karrie......

You sound like a medical treatment for plants..
ha ha

Just sounded funny....Do whats best for the plant..
Wah .........I want red......Hint to anyone who has seeds........
WHat are you raising? If not cascade? Maybe you have seeds? HINT.

dodge [devil] [devil]

-
 -
by Karrie on June 26, 2006 01:15 PM
I have some red pecote (sp?) petunias they arent cascade type but they sure do look like them. Now the red wave petunias I have always found to have smaller blooms then the pink purple and white and they seem to be leggier anyone else find this to be an issue.

Dodge I guess that did sound funny. lol [Razz]

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 26, 2006 01:33 PM
Karrie

Red Pecote.........petunias.......Are you sayin you have seeds for those??????
If you are, Whoppeeeeeeeeeee....
I have lots of seeds I can swap you..
Please let me know ;o(/\/\/\
[party]

dodge

-
 -
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 04:01 AM
I don't have seeds but I will this fall. I will leave a few faded blooms on and see if they go to seed.........if so I will send them to you. They are red and white, as a miss placed Hoosier and I.U basketball fan.......they were a must. Hubby is a boilermaker.........Good luck finding gold and black flowers lol! Here is a picture of them. The tag just said petunias but I swear they are the cascading type this picture is from a month ago and now they completely cover the outside of the pot. When I get a chance I will get a new pic. If I find seeds they will come your way.
 -

-

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 06:05 AM
You got em edited for me din ya Cindy! Thanks!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 27, 2006 06:49 AM
Karri

Please save me some of both of those..I will give my list then for you to choose.

thanks

dodge

-
 -
by Karrie on June 27, 2006 10:19 AM
I will do Dodge, I just watered and checked them no seeds but pods on the single. When the hubby gets home I will have him upload the pics I took today they will show how much of a cascade effect they have. Also the double are more red this week then they were that week.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 27, 2006 12:21 PM
 -

Lets look at this cascade petunia on my porch, in the mean time,, and Tell me it is Ugly....
;o)

Ha ha
I like it........Wish I had those reddies too.

[kissies] dodge

-
 -
by Karrie on June 28, 2006 01:11 PM
I like that, I don't have any that cascade that way, just I guess the wave petunia's . I think I had them in the same category. Those are interesting.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by dodge on June 28, 2006 02:19 PM
Karrie

Thanks......Now the envelope the girl sent me said cascade......I heard of wave and thought it was the same thing??????????? [dunno]
Now I am confused..
Actually that had flowers up the stems.. They died off and now new leaves are forming .. But I like the effect.....
[party] Being I am Polish , nothing matters to me.. ha ha

Thanks for lookin..
dodge
barb

-
 -
by Karrie on June 29, 2006 01:16 PM
I have looked online a bit, I think they are the same thing, wish someone who knew would inform us. Maybe I need to start a topic on that.

-
 -

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Growing Miniature Roses from Seed| Next thread: growing onions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: