The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hollyhocks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hollyhock seeds and spider mites???| Next thread: Hollyhocks »
Back to Thread index
by Gata on June 12, 2006 09:56 PM
Hi ya'll. My hollyhocks are dying down after their (hopefully) first bloom. Some of the stalks are brown and a few just have a leaf or two. Should I prune them back or just let them die on their own. I'm hoping for a second showing. Thanks, Gata
by alankhart on June 13, 2006 03:07 AM
Cut them back and often you will get another set of blooms, but usually shorter stems.

-
 -
 -
by LilacLover on June 26, 2006 01:47 PM
Mine died too...I dont think I like them all that much. They die too fast and cost too much.

Mark
by dodge on June 26, 2006 02:19 PM
Hollyhocks,

Are you sure they are suited for your climate/

it makes a difference......NC isnt for sure.
You have the advantage of summer all year.. We are blessed with winter , fall spring and summer..

Yuk..........
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by loz on June 26, 2006 03:58 PM
I don't think they cost much, then again I started mine from seeds....that's the best adn cheapest way to go!!! I love their flowers. [flower]
by twwright on June 26, 2006 08:02 PM
I started my Hollyhocks from seed also and let them die with impunity. Of course, in Texas the heat kind of kills them off in the heat of the day without water until someone gets home from work. My plants get this disease, rust maybe, or some kind of fungus that looks like a brown, round dot with speckles on the other side of the leaf. Then, they die. Hasta le bye bye baby.
by tkhooper on June 27, 2006 04:08 AM
Hey twwright I'm going through the same thing. I have almost no foliage left. And what I have has the same markings you are talking about. We water and water and the heat is still doing them in I think. I'm trying not to cut them back because I'd like some of the seed pods but I'm not sure they will live long enough to produce seeds. Any ideas on that one?

-
 -
by sunflower_info on June 28, 2006 08:26 AM
I'm trying to start hollyhocks from seed. I seem to be having a problem getting them to germinate. I direct sowed some of them, and none of them came up. The others i put in a pots, and I was only able to get two to germinate after being in pots since May. Hollyhocks should take about 14 days, and not two months to germinate. Now, I soaked the seeds for about an hour before planting, and I kept them near the surface of the soil, because hollyhock seeds need light to germinate. I put the pots outside for weeks on end, I tried putting them under grow lights in the basement. I've tried just about everything. I'm starting a new batch now, and these ones I put in the freezer a few days, then I soaked them in warm water for 2 hours. I put each one in each pot, half in the soil, and half sticking out of the soil. Anyone have any recommendations? I got these seeds from someone in the UK, and they are suppose to get 15 ft. tall. (I only grow giant plants) These are bred to get large; so it's important I get these seeds to work. The person who gave them to me said he is able to get them to germinate. I'm usually really good at getting things to germinate from seed, and this is the first time I've ever had such a problem.
by gomerp618 on June 28, 2006 10:13 AM
I had tried with some seeds before too and didn't have any luck, but last time I checked I think I see some starting (unless of course those are some weeds popping out). I had wondered if they shouldn't have gone in the fridge first myself since if we were to let nature take it's course around here they would go through the winter season before coming out again in spring. I have some in the fridge now but haven't planted them yet.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by markr on June 28, 2006 01:16 PM
i started mine in the greenhouse, coverd with a fine layer of compost and most germinated!
there in the ground now [thumb]
just got to wait till next year to see what colours ive got

-
Mark
by tkhooper on June 29, 2006 04:48 AM
When I soak, I soak overnight unless there are strict instructions not to. Other than that the ones I planted in 50 percent compost came up and the ones I planted in clay did not. (that's my garden clay, clay and more clay lol.)

-
 -
by pagarden on June 29, 2006 01:27 PM
hey i just came back from mexico and saw quite a few people growing hollyhocks! it was amazing to see everything so brown and dusty and blech and them see a big sprout of hollyhocks by someones house!
by sunflower_info on June 29, 2006 04:45 PM
It's funny, because when I planted a few at first, I didn't leave them near the surface. Rule of thumb with most seeds is the bigger the seed, the deeper you plant it. It wasn't until they didn't germinate that I started to read up on them. The second time I practically had them on the surface, but that didn't help. Obviously, it was a problem with soaking them, because they came out nearly two months later, with little change in temps.
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 02, 2006 09:12 PM
Hi everyone...
i have ..5 Hollyhock plants... onez rather small n 2 others smaller...but da other 2 r rather bushy...funny....from da pictures i see of them, they r tall plants... but mine has been a bushy clump at ground level for quite sometime...they do grow...but sidewyas not up!!? da heat, huh??... but recently i noticed da stem of one of 'em growing up...theres still some hope for me, i suppose?? i so wanna see 'em bloom..started 'em from Thompson & Morgan seeds..

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by tkhooper on July 03, 2006 01:32 AM
Hi Nor,

Hollyhocks have a two year cycle. The first year foliage only and the blossoms the second year. They love water and full sun so if you have a fair amount of room between them you should have a really nice showing when they do bloom.

So if this is the first year for yours you may want to put down extra seeds so that you have blooms every year.

Am I making any sense at all? Sometimes I don't explain myself at all well.

-
 -
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 03, 2006 06:58 PM
Oooh no wonder there r so much leaves ...but no flowers yet..n i kept peeking thro da leaves checking for signs of flowers... yep they r in full sun...n get a lot of water...we water our garden usually twice a day...unless when it rains...think they do like it there s da single clumps plantd have produced more...they grow sideways... but one is showing signs of growing up...think da other will follow suit...

"So if this is the first year for yours you may want to put down extra seeds so that you have blooms every year."

Tammy...does that mean i should sow some more seeds? Ughh..finished all my seeds i think...n out of da packet only these 5 survived...m happy that they do..n by what u said...i'll b patient n give 'em time to flower...
[wavey]

-
by tkhooper on July 04, 2006 01:15 AM
No you have the ones down for this year. But next year when these are blooming you'll wan't to make sure you put down some more seeds so they will do the foliage thing then and the next year bloom and so on. Just remember to plant some seeds every year and you'll be fine.

-
 -
by plantingnewb on July 05, 2006 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if these are hollyhocks?
mystery
I posted a pic earlier and was told possibly cukes, melon, squash or hollyhocks.
I didn't plant any of these in this spot, so I'm not sure.
Tammy
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 05, 2006 06:20 PM
Hi plantingnewb Tammy...
your mystery looks sooo very much like my 5 hollyhocks.... but m no expert... gotta wait for 2nd..3rd opinions..

[wavey]

-
by tkhooper on July 06, 2006 04:56 AM
Yours look like wild celery to me and I hope you don't have that. My dad made the mistake of planting it and now it is everywhere. And it gets huge.

-
 -
by plantingnewb on July 06, 2006 06:32 AM
I just noticed today that one of the buds is slightly open & is pink inside.
Does that help ID it?
I can't wait to see what it turns out to be.
Hopefully flowers of some sort. [flower]
Not celery please [Frown]
Tammy
by porter57 on July 09, 2006 12:29 PM
looks like em to me
im a first year hocker too and that looks just like what i have
by plantingnewb on July 10, 2006 10:54 AM
Finally the buds are beginning to open. [clappy]
This is what they look like.
Hollyhocks?
Tammy
by porter57 on July 10, 2006 05:37 PM
yup
by Karrie on July 13, 2006 01:08 PM
I have tried and tried to grow hocks, with no luck at all, and I have never found a plant for sale. I wish I had some of these I just adore them. I have always wanted to put a cute lil out house in the back yard and grow hollyhocks around it. 1 of these days I will get em to grow!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hollyhock seeds and spider mites???| Next thread: Hollyhocks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: