The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ROSE PROBLEM???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rose Parade Impatiens| Next thread: rose question »
Back to Thread index
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on June 12, 2006 07:46 PM
Hello All, [wavey]

I have roses in containers, AND in clay soil...and I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer....??? I have read a book that says roses like clay soil...but mine are having a tough time both in containers and out??? I just put a 2 inch layer of gardener's manure on them (from the store... not green) and some epsom salts worked in as well...I realize that this is done in fall usually...but I need to help them...??? Does anyone have any advice for helping them to flower? I had to do a severe late season prune because of black spot . I am also battling wrinkled leaves and aphids...wondering if I do not have the "magic touch"??? If anyone has any ideas...I am happy to give them a try...I am desperate not to let these lovely plants fade away!!! Thanks in advance!!!

HOLLYHOCKGIRL [wavey]
by joclyn on June 13, 2006 06:53 AM
i treat the aphids and black spot with ortho brand orthonex.

what zone are you in? what's the weather been like? what type of containers are you using (glazed, unglazed or plastic)?

you might not see flowers if the roses are the type that flower early only. do you know the name of the variety you have?
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on June 16, 2006 06:23 AM
Hello Joclyn!!!

I am in zone 7-8....we have had extremely hot weather followed by a solid week of rain and cool temps...My containers are large green plastic that are about 3 times the size of the bush to allow for growth. I believe a couple of the roses I have are floribunda ( a large mass of roses on a single cane top) and one or two might be climbers??? The only names I know for sure are "Cherry Parfait" and "Sweet and Spicy" ....the "Sweet and Spicy" is definitely a climber!!! Since I wrote last...the Epsom salts has helped develope new growth...but I am still worried about blooms....they all bloomed all summer last year??? I will not use blood or bone meal...so, do you or anyone on the forum have any "animal friendly" alternative? I would really appreciate it!!! [Smile]

Oh....also....Joclyn...do you use liquid Seaweed? I have heard this may work??? I have never talked to anyone who has used this though? [Smile]

Thanks again for all your advice and any advice I get from the forum members!!! [Smile]

On my way out to by the Ortho Orthonex now!!!Thanks again!!!

HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by joclyn on June 16, 2006 01:24 PM
once you get them treated for the aphids and they have some time to regrow what you trimmed off, you should get blooms again. (the aphids would probably have eaten any blooms that were left after the prune).

on both the floribunda type as well as the climbers...both are usually repeat bloomers. [Smile]

oh, was just out yesterday to pick up another container of the orthonex...they've taken it off the market [Frown] ? well, that's what the people in the store told me...i'd seen it still listed on ortho's site so i don't know what's going on (haven't had time to call ortho to ask about it).

i bought some other brand - can't remember now...when i get home (i'm at work) i'll check the container and tell you what it is.
by bluebird on June 16, 2006 04:21 PM
Hello HHG!
I love roses. We live on the Oregon coast and have mild weather. We have 3 big oak containers with roses in them and also some in the garden. We watch a show called Rebeccas Garden on HGTV. We've learned alot from her about gardening. You can go to your local library and check out her cd on caring for roses.
I spray aphids using a soapy water mixture of 2 1/2 tbs dishsoap/gal H2O.(This is safe to use around animals) If you'd like to make another type of spray: a stock mixture:
1 TBS dishsoap, 1c. cooking oil. This is your stock. When you want to spray, add 5-8 TBS to 1 gal. H20.

Watering...roses only need about 2" of water per week, a bit more in really hot weather.
Dead head the faded blooms. This will promote more blooms. When pruning, look down the stem til you find a 5 leaf stem. That is a bud union & your new bloom will come from that point.
Also,I've found a good online site for non-chemical pest control:
www.oisat.org
Happy gardening!

bb
by luis_pr on June 17, 2006 07:25 PM
Deadheading, extra watering in the summer and a fertilizer with a NPK Ratio of 10-50-10 can help you get more blooms. As usual, always water before/after adding fertilizers.

As for roses liking clay soil, I would rather say that they tolerate clay soil. But you are partly right.... Clay soil that has been ammended with organic compost is ideal for them.

Just wondering, what is the problem with blood meal and bone meal? They are organic meals so they are safe to use around pets. Do they just love to eat them after you have spent hours spreading them around? I have three baby girls that love fish meal and cottonseed meal. Brother.... Hee hee hee

Luis
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 04, 2006 03:22 PM
HELLO AGAIN!!!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply....the problem with bone meal for me personally ...is that I am a strict vegetarian...and I feel that I would be going against my personal beliefs to use any animal remains. I realize that the rose does not hold my personal views...but I hope you can understand my reluctance to use an animal product. I was wondering...would liquid sea weed be just as beneficial for the calcium and potassium and other minerals in the the place of the bone meal? I have no objections to using sea weed or organically harvested sea shells that have not had the animal killed in the process of harvesting...any info would be fantastic!!! Much appreciation for all the follow up posts!

cheers!
Hollyhockgirl
by bluebird on August 10, 2006 06:10 PM
Hi...It's been along time since I've been here too! summer gardening is keeping us busy!
to help my roses flower, I use a mixture of used coffee grounds and banana peels. save your grounds & chop up your banana peels, work them into the soil around the drip line of your roses. I picked up this tip from the rose society of Oregon. I've tried it & it works! If you don't drink coffee, collect from your friends or go to a local shop such as star bucks & ask them to save them for you.
And keep deadheading!

bb
by chilady on August 11, 2006 03:32 AM
I am renting a home in the country, and they had roses planted before I moved in. I don’t have much knowledge on how to take care of roses. But I have always loved them, and was overjoyed when I found I had a bunch in my garden. They are mature climbing roses. I have had to cut them back, because of severe mildew problems. And we have an outbreak of Japanese beetles. I can't get rid of them. And my poor plants are suffering. I am so angry. I have been told to just keep picking them off the flowers. And to try and kill the eggs before they hatch. Can any one tell me what else I might be able to do?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rose Parade Impatiens| Next thread: rose question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: