The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bell Pepper problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bell Pepper Problem| Next thread: Bell pepper question »
Back to Thread index
by capn on August 01, 2004 06:34 PM
Hi All,
I am a rookie gardener and am having trouble with my bell peppers. The problem is my tomato plants have blocked out all of the direct sunlight to my peppers. The peppers were beginning to flower, but now all the flowers fell off. I was thinking about transplanting my peppers and tomatos. Is this a good idea, or should I just enjoy my tomatos and learn from my mistakes on the peppers?

Thanks for the help.

Capn in P-burgh.
by Pineapple_Raye on August 01, 2004 06:55 PM
Have you give thought as to using trellis and train your vines to go that way?

BTW seeing how you are new, I hope you do know not to plant your next crop of tomatoes and peppers in the same ground as this year. You will need to wait at least 3 years. In fact no Night Shade family may be planted there for the next 3 years.
by capn on August 01, 2004 07:42 PM
I have my tomatoes in cages. my cucumbers are growing up a trelis. I didn't know that I can't plant tomatoes and peppers in the same place next year. Is there anything I can do to revitalize the soil and use the same spot to plant? I have a small yard and a small place for a garden - it's very tight.

What about transplanting the tomatoes and peppers this year? Tomatoes are doing great, but they tower over the peppers. If they traded spaces, they'd both get plenty of sun.
by Pineapple_Raye on August 01, 2004 08:19 PM
I understand now. If they are real close together I cannot help but think that some of their roots are mingled together. If that is the case and you are sure your pepper plants will not produce I would cut the pepper plants down.

NOW if your tomato plants are determinate (bare all their fruits at one time) then I would not cut my pepper plants. If they are indeterminate then go ahead and 86 the peppers plant....again only if you are sure they will not produce.

Ok...limit space I understand. Two options:
1.) grow your plants in a Growth Container. See this link on how to make them:
Growth Containers Each year change out the soiless mixture. Or make a new container and rotate the new to the old spot and use the old for a low light plant.
2.) Remove the soil in your ground. Remove 1 foot down. Remove 2 feet from the base of your plants. Use my soiless mixture and organic fertilizer list in the above link.

If you want to set yourself back on your shorts by the number of tomatoes/ peppers you have next season then jump over to the organic board and I will help you get there. One of my gaming friends went 100% of what I preach this year. He told me that on just two cherry tomato plants he has over 1000 tomatoes! And so many squash that he cannot give them away any longer and many of them, now, are ending up in his compost pile.

I'm an organic gardener. Phil, a member here, is an organic gardener. Between us we can help you with just about anything that comes down the pike.

PR
by weezie13 on August 01, 2004 08:50 PM
Alright Raye,
I gotta ask this????

Why not together????????

Very curious???

As my son is just starting gardening, and I let him pick out what HE wanted to grow, and he opted for a variety of colored and/or hot peppers.. and cherry tomatoes????

In 2 different containers, growing in over the edge containers on his treehouse porch are cherry tomatoe's and consectively one with purple peppers and one with red peppers......
One plant each of cherry tomato plant....
*4 purple/1 cherry and 3 red/1 cherry*
And they are doing fantastic!!!!!
Both have an abundant amounts of flowers, and little fruits and bigger fruits?

Now, I'm organic too, I use lot's of good soil, compost, bone meal, etc, etc, epsom's salt's,
and rain water and compost teas on occasions...
and a banana peel at the bottom of the holes
and closer together this year too....
*had two different gardener's tell me those hints, and are working out great...*

And to be honest, [Embarrassed] in the same container last year the exact same thing [Embarrassed] (I know better, but they did so well up there last year, How could I not do the same thing this year??? [Embarrassed] )
And even the plants are planted in the same spots, cause the cherry tomato has to be on the back corner, so it doesn't shade out the peppers.

What begins to happen???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bell Pepper Problem| Next thread: Bell pepper question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: