The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rain Damage

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Rain barrells| Next thread: Rain Lily (fairy lily) question »
Back to Thread index
by Nyce on May 16, 2004 04:55 PM
We have been having some wicky thunderstorms lately. [scaredy]
A fairly new tomato plant was knocked down to the ground. It bent at ground level, but I don't see any crack in the stem. I tied it up to a trelis, but I don't know if there was any damage inside the stem. [Eek!]
Should I just wait and see, or pull it out and replace it. Because of limited space, I can only have one plant, and I don't know if I should take the time to wait, or go and get a new plant while the gettin' is good. [dunno]
Thank you for your advice in advance. [thumb]

-
Peace is seeing a sunrise or a sunset and knowing whom to thank.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
by weezie13 on May 16, 2004 05:27 PM
HI Nyce,
Tomato plants are pretty hardy, and resilant!
As long as it's not snapped off completely you
shouldn't have a problem....
The tomato plant has the wonderful ability to send out roots from anywhere along the stem...

If you feel the roots are in securely, just mound a bunch of soil up and around the stem to secure it in some more.
(or even place some thing around the base of the plant, like brick's or stone and throw in more dirt up the neck of the plant. *(don't bury and leaves, you can pull off some stems at the bottom with no problem, just don't leave the foliage into the ground to rot).

Actually also, *(even though I don't grow mine with this method)* I understand tomatoes can be grown on the ground, as they are a sprawling type plant... My husbands parents have never staked them. [dunno]

How come the limited space? (not being nosey)
And can you container garden??
Tomatoes grow wonderfully in 5 gallon buckets!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Nyce on May 16, 2004 09:27 PM
Yes Weesie, I have grown tomatoes in pots, and they did very well. [grin] I just put it in the ground last year and this year.
We live in a townhouse, and don't have much space to garden. [Roll Eyes] I grow a lot of flowers in pots on the deck, and they do well. I love it when I go outside and pick off a cherry tomato and pop it in my mouth when it is still warm. Aaaaaah enjoyment. [Love] I also love to sit in a chair and look at all the "prettys" growing. [Smile]
We have a small plot outside the fence (maybe 10' x 4' where I grow Russian sage, Iris, Maltese Cross, Shasta Daisy, Larkspur, mini Rose bush, Aster, and fill in with annuals. [wayey]

-
Peace is seeing a sunrise or a sunset and knowing whom to thank.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pain is inevitable. Misery is optional.
by obywan59 on May 19, 2004 08:04 AM
Weezies right, your tomato plant should be all right. Try putting in a stake to hold the plant upright.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Szykniej on May 19, 2004 03:48 PM
Tomatoes are also good at rooting from the stem. If you bury the plant deeper so the bend is below soil level, that might make the plant stronger.

Tony from Massachusetts
by weezie13 on May 19, 2004 07:03 PM
Actually,
I left part of my post off,
I was going to add a story of mine to it,
and got side tracked, [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] , as usual!

One year when my dad was sick and couldn't do the garden, and it would have been the first year they hadn't had a garden in 47 years!!!
So, I made some containers out of BBQ 5 gal. buckets from my friends pizzeria, and drilled holes into the bottom....
My mom had bought some tomato plants called "Patio~Plants", I'm thinking these are a very hardy, large tomato??? Not exactly sure of the difference between the two...
Anyways, I was planting them for her, and they were a good sized plant, and I'm not sure how I did it, but I snapped the top half off, accidently and thought, OHMYGOSH!! [shocked] mother's gonna tan my hide, [scaredy] so, I left the bottom part in the dirt and peeled, one or two of the lower stems, and just stuck the top part back into the dirt off to the side, she'd never notice,
[grin] and I gave the plants a good dose of my personal favorite "juice" for a quick fix for shock and transplanting, is Schultz Plus 10~60~10.
And told mother to give it some every other day..
And guess what???????
It survived, and thrived and produced......

It was just the top of a broken off tomato plant, but with the right care immediately after the fact, it can be helped!

love tomato plants, you don't even have to be too good of a gardener to get them to thrive...
Hmmmmmmmmm, no wonder they do so good for me? [Embarrassed] [Wink]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rain barrells| Next thread: Rain Lily (fairy lily) question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: