The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Home made topiary frames?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: HOME MADE SOUPS???| Next thread: Home Remedies from your Garden »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on December 10, 2004 11:01 AM
Does anyone have ideas on how to make inexpensive indoor topiary frames? I'd like to experiment with topiaries and, if successful, give topiaries as gifts next year for Christmas gifts.
by Amy R. on December 10, 2004 07:25 PM
hi there, i've never made a topiary frame before, but what about using wire hangers? or a spool of wire from the hardware store might be more pliable. also, if you have any leftover wires from hanging baskets, that might work. that's all i can think of, sorry. [dunno] good luck!
by barleychown on December 12, 2004 07:07 PM
I have used both wire coat hangers, and the spool of wire...both work really well. My only complaint about the coat hangers is you can never get all the bends and kinks out of the wire, but if you fill it in with lots of ivy, you don't see the wire anyway! [grin]

Good luck! [thumb]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Cricket on December 13, 2004 01:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try AFTER Christmas - I see by the countdown that I'm running out of time and haven't even STARTED! [nutz]

Bill, can you please turn the clock back?! [grin]

(Hmmm...we need a "begging" graemlin!)
by Carly on December 13, 2004 08:33 AM
I have never seen one - but I'd sure like to try it.

Guess I could start simple - a heart, or something.

Thanks for posting this - I'm inspired now.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Cricket on December 13, 2004 09:28 AM
Thanks, Carly, a heart would be a good start! I've looked at commercial frames on the net - they are so EXPENSIVE! But I need something simple to begin with as I'm spacially impaired and don't think in 3D! [Big Grin]
by hisgal2 on December 14, 2004 04:18 AM
What about a cone??? I saw on HGTV that they used a tomato cage as a sort of "base" for everything. They got terra cotta pots that were about the same size as the biggest ring in the tomato cage, then they used some silicon to adhere the largest ring of the cage to the pot (so the cage was actually upside down). I guess this is more for something that is not alive?? [dunno]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HOME MADE SOUPS???| Next thread: Home Remedies from your Garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: