The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Transplanting crowded sprouting bulbs..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by thistledown on April 20, 2006 09:20 AM
Hi everyone!
Had to stop my work in the garden..
~~clears throat importantly and sits a little higher~~SQUEE~~
...because I've hit a snag.

As some may know from my introduction, my sweetie and I have a new place and are trying to figure out what's in our yard. Neither are gardeners...YET!
We found a big plastic bin that you WONDERFUL folks advised us are bulbs. Now that I've taken the dandilions, moss, grass, ciggie butts, and pulltabs out of there, I realize there are a LOT of them - cheek by jowl! the bulbs themselves look like big parsnips and they're just lying halfway in the earth on their sides. The dirt in the bin is very black and impossible to push your finger into. Very solid.
Our neighbours have bulbs in their front garden that are far more "along" than ours. I'd like to move ours to the front for direct southern sun (I'm assuming it will help), but should I leave them packed in the bin, or can they be transplanted?
If I transplant them, should I maintain their orientation and keep them on their sides?
Would they be happier if I buried them more?

Please help!!
[Smile]
AT

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
 -
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 09:54 AM
do they all look the same or are there differnt types mixed in? would it be possible to take some pics of the bulbs? both as they are in the plastic bin and then take one out so we can see what it really looks like.

even without the pics, you're pretty safe if you plant them. generally, you plant them so that the roots are facing down. picture an onion - there's a tip-like thing on one side and it's flat on the other side. the flat side is the root side. there are some bulbs/tubers that need to be planted sideways - these might be that type, since they're in that container laying on their sides.

some flowering bulbs need full sun and some don't. plus, some need to be planted more deeply than others. could you ask some of the neighbors what kind of flowering bulbs the previous owner had? and then let us know and we can give you further input.

oh, and to explain why they are in that container: in some areas where it gets really cold, you need to take the bulbs out in the fall and then replant them in the spring.
by tkhooper on April 20, 2006 11:58 PM
thistle down another consideration is that if you stagger the planting you may get a longer bloom time if they are like galdiolas. And that can really help keep color in your garden all summer long.

-
 -
by thistledown on April 21, 2006 03:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by joclyn:
....some flowering bulbs need full sun and some don't. plus, some need to be planted more deeply than others. could you ask some of the neighbors what kind of flowering bulbs the previous owner had? and then let us know and we can give you further input.

oh, and to explain why they are in that container: in some areas where it gets really cold, you need to take the bulbs out in the fall and then replant them in the spring.

Thanks! I'll try and get a picture! They look exactly like parsnips to me, LOL! They all seem to be exactly the same. The issue about the cold makes sense, due to our Zone and our elevation, we only lost the last of our snow a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately, our neighbours are almost as new to the mobile home park as we are and as the trailer we're in was unoccupied for over a year before we moved in, they wouldn't have known the previous owner.... [Frown]
I'll try and borrow a digital camera - in the meantime perhaps I'll plant some out front and some at the side of the house and see which do better.

[Smile]
AT

-
by thistledown on April 21, 2006 03:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
thistle down another consideration is that if you stagger the planting you may get a longer bloom time if they are like galdiolas. And that can really help keep color in your garden all summer long.
Sorry, "stagger"? What does that mean?

~~excited to learn new Gardening Term!~~

[Smile]
AT

-
by tkhooper on April 22, 2006 01:11 AM
plant some every two weeks rather than all of them all at once.

-
 -
by thistledown on April 27, 2006 11:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
plant some every two weeks rather than all of them all at once.
Oh! Thank you!

[Smile]
AT

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: