The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Yucca

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: your thanksgiving menu| Next thread: Yucca Blooms »
Back to Thread index
by ktownmom on April 06, 2006 10:37 PM
Well my husband came home last night after a freecycle.org pickup with 10 Yucca plants ( I am sure this is what was identified as my plant in the backyard by you wonderful ppl).
So we just dug holes last night and plopped them in the ground. Will they just take off from there? They are fairly large. Will we miss the flowers for this year?

Denise
by plants 'n pots on April 06, 2006 11:00 PM
What a great find, Denise!

I have 2 variegated yuccas that are going into their 3rd summer. One bloomed the second summer, the other hasn't bloomed for me yet.

I hope someone else more knowledgable about these pops in with a better answer for you.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by patches1414 on April 07, 2006 03:05 PM
Hi Denise! [wavey]

I'm sure they will just take off for you without any problem. [Wink] I've been trying to kill some off for two years now without any success. [Frown] They just keep coming back. [tears] When I saw the subject "Yucca" I thought maybe someone was trying to get rid of theirs too! [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on April 09, 2006 08:30 AM
patches
I been trying for years to kill mine off.. They didnt always bloom for me.. Maybe cause they were in the sun......
Perhaps it didnt like my area.

they do make a nice line on a path.. If you like them.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by porter57 on April 09, 2006 08:53 AM
ive always thought yuccas were cool looking
course i never had them
ive been in my house about two years now and have one(it was there when i moved in)coming out of an area that is concete and asphalt.
doesnt seem to be the most hospitible spot for a plant at all. i dont know for sure but im thinkin its a volunteer as nobody would have planted it there
by pagarden on April 09, 2006 09:11 AM
how hardy are yucca???? we had one in the house i grew up in (south florida) and it grew to be as tall as the house! i just assumed they were a tropical plant.
by afgreyparrot on April 09, 2006 09:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
I've been trying to kill some off for two years now without any success. [Frown] They just keep coming back. [tears] When I saw the subject "Yucca" I thought maybe someone was trying to get rid of theirs too! [Wink]

I have been trying to get rid of my yucca for 4 years... [Big Grin]
I thought I had it all dug out...but NO! [shocked]
It must have roots all the way to China. [dunno]

I'm going to learn to love it this year...I hope.
...because there's no way to get rid of it once you plant it.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by dodge on April 09, 2006 09:52 AM
ha ha ha ha......

roots clear to china...... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

That is funny......I put the lawn mower to it..I can pretend it isnt there.

[Eek!] [Confused]
dodge

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 09, 2006 09:59 AM
I swear...I dug down 3 feet...and thought I had gotten all of it...

WRONG!!! [shocked]

-
 -
 -
by dodge on April 09, 2006 10:14 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I had my son do mine and he was strong.. What a mess.......
One thing I never tried, ROUNDUP..... it is great on weeds.....Maybe we can kill that one ?
You have to wait till it comes up , couple inches and spray it when the sun is shining. Let it alone till it turns all brown......That means death........(;o)
the dang leaves are as sharp as knives.......But the flowers do look nice from far away.. Mine was white.
[scaredy] hope hope.

dodge.Let me know if you do it ..

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 10, 2006 12:21 AM
Mine is white, too.
quote:
the dang leaves are as sharp as knives.......
That's the only reason I wanted to get rid of it...I kept getting hurt. I bent over once to pull some weeds and almost poked my eye out with one. (It's all fun and games 'til somebody gets an eye poked out!) [Wink]

I used the backhoe last spring to dig it up...that's how I got down so deep. But, it tore the root apart and I guess I didn't get it all...or maybe pieces of the roots grew into more plants...because originally I only had one yucca out there in that spot, but after trying to get rid of it now I have 6 of them. [Eek!]

-
 -
 -
by dodge on April 10, 2006 12:32 AM
THAT IS BAD....
I HAD IT FOR YEARS TO PLEASE A INLAW.. NOW OUT OF HERE.....
I THINK I WOULD TRY THE ROUNDUP ON THAT.. LET IT GROW TO ABOUT 6 INCHES .. AND SPRAY ON A SUNNY DAY WHEN YOU THINK MORE SUNNY DAYS ARE COMING.
INVASIVE IS SOMETHING ELSE..
IT ISNT SAFE AROUND KIDS FOR SURE..
GOOD LUCK..

DODGE [party]

-
 -
by JV on April 10, 2006 01:43 AM
We had two beside our drive when we lived in Odessa Tx. were about 10 foot tall. One I have now is soft Yucca I like them been around them all my life in New Mexico,West Texas and Mexico. My mother had some by her house grew to about 20 foot tall. She also had a Century plant. Better learn to live with this plant it is a desert plant and will grow in almost pure sand and like rock also from what I have seen. You can weave mats and baskets from the leaves just be careful very sharp and make soap from the roots.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by dodge on April 10, 2006 03:04 AM
JV
WELL TEXAS ALL THING BIG.......I rather not.;o)
I am watching races at texas right now.. ha ha
Never heard of a tall Yucca..However in Penna. dont need tall plants ..Our trees are thick enough:o)
My inlaws still own same ones, maybe 4 ft. 40 years i know of.
I have a brother in law in Houston. He isnt a flower person.. But one lady I know didnt talk of tall Yuccas.Just huge Sago palm trees.. SHe sent me some.

Good luck and keep growing.

dodge [muggs]

-
 -
by JV on April 10, 2006 04:08 AM
That race in from TMS in North Fort Worth actually closer to Denton. If you want to see some tall Yucca they have them in Mexico Ariz. N.M. and souther Ca. Some do get fairlly tall have no idea how old they are. Those by my mothers house was at least 60 years old.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by porter57 on April 10, 2006 06:05 PM
good race
glad to see kahne get the win
didnt care for the busch race winner though.
snow angels in texas?
by dodge on April 10, 2006 08:35 PM
Ha ha ha,
Your on my side.......Kasey i like......I like most of them.....I love to see them heckle ole Steward......You can read his face like a book.
Right the snow angels should stay with snow.. Is that the Busch who got his ears fixed so he could fly faster?????/
;o)

We enjoy the fellows ..Ole Martin is quitting for 2 years now.. He said yesterday.
Hide and watch.

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 11, 2006 04:36 AM
I've tired Roundup too, but they still come back. [Frown] It seems to kill it for the season, but next year they the're back again. [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on April 11, 2006 04:57 AM
Patches........
Hold heck, that is not good.....Guess you have to do it yearly, and hope one day it gets drunk enough.......
Wish I knew more.....Glad it isnt texas here.. Only penna.. would be tall as the house. Penna has some weed along the railroad track that act like that.. glad I am on the farm....
SOrry........I will keep hunting for hints..
dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 11, 2006 05:02 AM
Thanks Dodge, I appreciate it! [Wink] [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by dodge on April 11, 2006 05:07 AM
Patches

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU AND YOURS,
THIS PLACE IS FUN.

;O)

DODGE

-
 -
by ktownmom on April 11, 2006 07:13 AM
Okay now, you all have me not wanting these darn plants! I am making my hubby read this and hopefully we can pull them out LOL

Denise
by patches1414 on April 11, 2006 07:26 AM
Happy Easter to you and yours too Dodge! Yes, this is such a fun place to be and everyone is wonderul! [thumb]

Denise, we didn't mean to discourage you, but I was not happy with them. [Frown] I got poked and cut a few times too. [Mad]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by dodge on April 11, 2006 07:38 AM
Denise,

They do make striking scenes when they bloom. My friend has them all in a row on the drive, and it looks neat.

To each his own...........

dodge [flower] [flower] [teacher]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: your thanksgiving menu| Next thread: Yucca Blooms »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: