The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Huge rubber plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Huckleberrys a success!!!| Next thread: Huge snake plant »
Back to Thread index
by Miracle Grower on July 21, 2004 06:27 PM
A year ago my grandma got a rubber plant when her dad died. In the summer time she puts it on the porch. in winter she brings it in the house. It has been repotted and doing well. But it get so big that she can't move it any more. Will it survive out side during winter, if she plants it in the ground? we live in zone 7
by plantlady19 on July 21, 2004 07:01 PM
I don't know much about zones, but I do know that rubber plants hate cold weather, as do most succulents. [scaredy] Anything below 50 degrees F and you might get a dead plant. If the temps where you live get close to that but not too far below, you might consider building a small green house-like sort of shelter for it with thick clear plastic. This will protect it from the elements to an extent. [thumb] Good luck. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by Nako on July 21, 2004 07:35 PM
Or you could do one of these:
You could prune it
You could keep it inside

I donno much about pruning, but there's lotsa articles on google about doing that [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by sachis2112 on July 22, 2004 01:15 AM
You can air-layer the plant and make it small again... or get several little plants out of the mother plant. There are a lot of great resources online explaining the air-layering method. It looks to me like the safest method of propagation.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Huckleberrys a success!!!| Next thread: Huge snake plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: