The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ming Aralia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: MING ARALIA| Next thread: Ming Aralia...HELP!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by CrabbyApple on April 26, 2004 06:04 AM
I have a 25+ yr old Ming Aralia and want to cut it back. Can this be done without adverse effect to the plant? I really don't want to lose it...but, it is too large for inside the house. I repotted it 2 yrs ago into a 12" pot and it has settled down (not losing any leaves).
Any help would be great!
Thanks [nutz]

There is no hope for the satisfied man.
by Will Creed on April 27, 2004 04:16 AM
Mings respond very favorably to pruning. Regular pruning will produce a more compact, less leggy look. You can cut stems at any point. Enjoy!
by CrabbyApple on April 28, 2004 01:26 AM
Thanks Will, I'll be able to cut on the Ming without fear of killing it now!

by CrabbyApple on April 28, 2004 01:35 AM
Will, I posted too soon.
Can I cut the Ming back severly, or should it be in small amounts? Also, would putting it in the sun after the trim help or hurt?(a change of rooms-it's still cold here) Feed after the cut?
Thanks! [dunno]

by Will Creed on April 28, 2004 04:07 AM
You can prune back as much or as little as you like. It just depends on the results or look that you want to achieve.

A change in light (increase or decrease) will often cause some defoliation as the older leaves cannot adapt to the new light. If you HAVE TO relocate the plant, then it is best done right after the pruning because there will be fewer older leaves to defoliate.

Fertilizing is unrelated to pruning. Fertilize as usual - infrequently and at half strength.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: MING ARALIA| Next thread: Ming Aralia...HELP!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: