The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Phoebe's Jades

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Phlox question| Next thread: Phoebe's Money Tree »
Back to Thread index
by Apple on January 06, 2005 06:41 AM
Hi!
I'm taking care of Phoebe's jades, which are all next to each other. They all seem to have just a few of these little bugs on them. They look like silvafish, and are about the size of sesime seeds. Any idea what they are? I've been killing them off with a tooth pick as i see them.

Thank you!
-Chris
by Amy R. on January 07, 2005 06:30 PM
hi Apple,
i had the same bug on a philodendron that took me a while to get rid of. i wasn't able to identify it, so i experimented until the went away. i tried the pest spray Safer, but that just left a white film over the leaves, so i actually hand washed each and every leaf, and the bugs came off. a few weeks later, they were back again, so i sprayed them with warm water mixed with a little tea tree oil, and now they are gone! i wish i knew their habits and gestational period, as i want to permanently eradicate them before they infect my healthy plants. anyway, here is a link to common houseplant pests. maybe you will find some helpful info there. good luck!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MG004
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 03:22 AM
hello,
i wanted to bump this up as now those pesky little bugs are back on my plant. does anyone know what they are? i haven't been able to identify them anywhere. they are starting to damage the foliage of my philodendron, and i'm worried about them spreading. what to do???
by Amy R. on January 16, 2005 03:28 AM
look at me, i'm having a conversation with myself! okay, thrips maybe? but i have never seen them fly, i've only seen them on the plant. now i'm paranoid i've compromised the health of my indoor jungle. help! [Eek!]
by Nako on January 17, 2005 10:31 AM
Hi!
Thank you Chris, for taking care of my jade ^.^ I have perminantly eradicated the problem with one of my jades, and have moved it back to its place with all my other plants. Now, i just have those other two. What i did was i went over the jade, leaf by leaf, and looked very carefully at every lil nook on that plant until i found ALL of them, and stabbed em with a tooth pick! Then i repotted it incase there was a soil infestation or something like that. ^.^ haven't showed up for a while now! yay! *hops*

~Phoebe

I still have no clue what they are o.O That took a lotta energy, so i'll get that finished when i get back to college n stuff.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Phlox question| Next thread: Phoebe's Money Tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: