The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sharing hoya's gave many blooms!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: share your aloe... ( ! )| Next thread: Sharing pics of my mess »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on August 23, 2006 02:35 PM
I cut both these hoya's back and gave to some members here and shortley after I saw bloom spurs developing on both plants. These have already bloomed once this season,, I'm guessing cutting them encouraged to get more spurs or would it have done it anyway [dunno] [grin]
The plant on your right had nine in the front and 3 on the side of the window,, the plant on the left has 4 on the front and 2 on the side of the window,, this is the most they have ever bloomed at one time,, most everything outside has been scorched due to this horrid heat here,, I feel [clappy] blessed to have blooms inside
 -

-

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by kennyso on August 23, 2006 03:12 PM
Congrats! To be honest, the pitcher caught my attention first [Embarrassed] ! I'd say you've exprienced a double blessing! Blessing one, you were able to put cuttings of something that you had extra of into others' hands, and blessing two, flowers! Those are pretty flowers...umm...a question that's not really related, are those strings that hang the pots just rope or are they a marcrame pot hanger?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Pekemom on August 23, 2006 03:37 PM
Those blooms are just gorgeous, angelblossom. Are we saying that cutting back hoyas encourage flower growth??

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by angelblossom on August 23, 2006 04:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kennyso:
..umm...a question that's not really related, are those strings that hang the pots just rope or are they a marcrame pot hanger?
They are walmart special 2.00 macrame plant hangers Kennyso all hanging off my curtain rod !! I don't know if that rod can take any more weight on it*Gulp**Keeping my fingers crossed*

Pekemom.... I don't know if cutting them back encouraged the new bloom spurs or not..., it was more a question than a statement,, I just found it odd they developed a lot of spurs right after cutting back,, I've understood they bloom just once or twice a year but these have bloomed a total of 3 times now in the fall in the late spring and now,, [grin]
BTW the close up bloom smells lightly like chocolate [thumb]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 12:01 AM
Dianne, your Hoya look very happy and are rewarding you with more blooms. [Wink] I especially like that second picture showing a close up of the flower. And since you say they smell like Chocolate, I know I must have one of these plants. I'm a life-long ChocoHolic. lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by angelblossom on August 24, 2006 12:04 PM
Rosie...... the cream and white leafed one smells like chocolate,, this particular plant also grows bubblegum pink colored leaves and has dark pink vines some of the leaves are cream and green and some solid green >> Variegated?

The other one is lightly scented not sweet tho.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on August 26, 2006 05:13 AM
Angelblossom

I think I have the same hoya as you do. Mine is blooming just like yours, and I think for the second time as well. I'm not sure what mine smells like, some say just a faint sweet green smell.

So Rose if you are looking for the chocolate smell make sure you know for sure which hoya to get, there are so many of them.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: share your aloe... ( ! )| Next thread: Sharing pics of my mess »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: