The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

peperomia plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peperomia obtusifolia| Next thread: Peperonia??? »
Back to Thread index
by Mocha260 on August 22, 2006 07:25 AM
Hi,

I am writing to ask a couple of questions about the peperomia plant. My plant's leaves are starting to droop. I have lost maybe 3 leaves (it's a small plant). I have tried to give in direct and indirect sunlight. I'm not sure what else I can do other than watering less? I recently purchased the plant and repotted it. Could the droopiness and the loss of leaves be shock from the transplant? And if so, how long does the shock usually last?
by cinta on August 22, 2006 08:06 AM
I water mine after it has dried out for about a week or more. Any plant that has fleshy leaves likes succulent conditions which is dry, dry, dry. If it is dropping and losing leaves it may have started to rot already.

I would remove it from the pot and see if the roots are ok.

Exception....I have one that has red in the leaves (peperomia clusiifolia variegata) it seems to love full sun and watered every week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by TulsaRose on August 22, 2006 08:30 AM
Mocha, do you know which type Peperomia you have? I don't know if that really matters...just might make a difference since there are many kinds.

They require regular, but not too frequent, watering, and they rarely need to be re-potted. Low light conditions seem to be better than bright light or direct sun.

Check out this web page dealing with Peperomia care. I hope this helps. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Mocha260 on August 22, 2006 10:38 AM
Thanks, Cinta and Rosie! I have the Coin Leaf Peperomia (Polybotrya). It seems that it has been watered too much. My mother comes over to assist with my plants all the time. So, I think we have both been watering my plants. The last time she helped me with my plants, my labels came up missing for all my seed trays. I had no clue what was growing where. How do you say nicely to your ever so helpful and sweet mother - "hands off!"?
by TulsaRose on August 22, 2006 11:02 AM
Mocha, my mother did the same sorts of things when she visited and I learned early on to just keep my big mouth shut and watch her very closely to undo what she did. [Big Grin] Even though we often butted heads over many things, she was still a great mom and I tried my best to never disrespect her. After she passed away seven years ago, I felt like (and still do) I had lost one of my best friends.

So...just keep an eye peeled when she is there and drain your plants when she leaves. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Mocha260 on August 24, 2006 01:33 AM
I think that's good advice, Rosie, I know she means well. She would be crushed if I told her she was actually hurting my plants. LoL So, I think me and my plants will keep our mouths shut. LoL
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 03:07 AM
Just remember the old saying...Daughters become their mothers as they age. [Wink] See what you have to look forward to?

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Mocha260 on August 24, 2006 04:11 AM
LoL I can see it already. I think I'm going to purchase the white tags with watering and light instructions.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peperomia obtusifolia| Next thread: Peperonia??? »
Back to Thread index