The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Strange Orchid

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Jenvan on August 08, 2006 03:34 AM
I received a 'bubble orchid" as a gift yesterday and I'm wondering what steps I should take for proper growth ,right now the plant contains healthy 3" long leaves , but I'm not sure if I need to re-plant , and what kind of care a young orchid needs...

--Jen
by tkhooper on August 08, 2006 06:45 AM
It's usually not a good idea to replant unless the plant needs it to stay healthy. What is the orchid planted in as far as soil type. Mine are in orchid potting soil or in another words small bark pieces. They like to be misted several times a week. And there is a special orchid food that you can get for them. Also the roots need to breath so you need to have the humidity tray situated in such a manner that the drain holes are not sitting in water. I have a wrought iron candle holder sitting in my humidity tray that my pot sits on. It looks kind of cute, I think anyway.

My orchid also have a rough sided piece of wood situated close to them so that if they need to put roots into something it can be that rather than my drywall/plaster lol.

Orchids don't like wet feet that's another thing I've learned so far. but I just got my orchids about a month or so ago. So I'm sure you'll get more good information soon from others.

-
 -
by Jenvan on August 09, 2006 09:32 AM
Tahnks for the advice , I've never had an orchid before so it was really helpful , i going to buy a humidity tray right now!

--Jen

Active Garden Forum