The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Persian Shield question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Persian Shield?| Next thread: Pesky bugs on roses »
Back to Thread index
by ferroworks on March 23, 2004 10:26 AM
Has anyone grown a Persian Shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) indoors? I am reading a lot of different things on this, and I'm not too sure I'm doing the right thing.

thanks!
by Will Creed on March 24, 2004 03:23 AM
Strobilanthes needs a constantly warm, humid environment to do well. For that reason it is usually grown in a greenhouse, but is not a popular houseplant. That doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try; just be aware of its special needs.
by ferroworks on April 08, 2004 01:19 PM
I have been growing this plant in bright, indirect light and it has been doing well, and is starting to flower. I have read that it is beter to prune the flowers immediatly, cause they weaken the plant as an indoor plant?

is this true?

the flowers that are growing look wonderful, but the other day i did come home to what must have been a lazy, hot afternoon nap for the plant, i guess. the leaves were drooping terribly, and the flower was just starting to bud. coincidence?

anybody have experience growing these indoors?
lovely plant
my persian shield
by Jiffymouse on April 08, 2004 06:04 PM
i know have an answer, but that is a beautiful plant!
by ferroworks on April 17, 2004 10:59 PM
so I went ahead and pruned back two of the stalks that were pretty leggy, and it has helped the plant. the flowers are small (i've read "insignificant") but beautiful white-purple bell shaped flowers.

Unfortunately, now I think it has aphids! This is the first I have seen of them, this week, and I would love to stop it before it gets to be too serious of a problem.

is the soapy water, mineral oil mixture ok to use on this type of plant?

Will those pests jump on to other plants that are near by?
Specifically, I am worried about my green, fury, wandering jew plant.
by Jiffymouse on April 17, 2004 11:49 PM
ferroworks, isolate it and soap it. that is what i would do. aphids are particular as to what they like, but i don't know what their hunger list includes [nutz] [dunno]
by hisgal2 on April 18, 2004 05:00 PM
I would isolate it...wouldn't want to take a chance of them getting to another plant.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Persian Shield?| Next thread: Pesky bugs on roses »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: