The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mold in Peace Lily soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
Pages: 1 2
by syl726 on March 22, 2004 05:38 PM
OK, I did it. I finally got tired of the mold in the soil of my Peace Lily. I'd been scooping it out only for it to return. Over the weekend I decided to repot and guess what?? The soil was PACKED to the roots [Frown] I carefully rinsed them clean and there were some white looking, (hopefully) healthy roots. So I figured since the soil was so packed to the roots, it was holding water not really ever drying and being able to appreciate fresh waterings [teacher] . I hope this gets rid of my problem. Wish me luck. [thumb]
by Newt on March 22, 2004 09:14 PM
Hi Sy,

Good luck!

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Jiffymouse on March 22, 2004 10:10 PM
[thumb] here's luck to you [thumb]
by Will Creed on March 23, 2004 12:30 AM
The soil is supposed to be packed around the roots. The new soil you added will soon be packed around the roots, as well. That's perfectly normal.

I hope that you used a quality sterilized potting mix so that you will not have any future mold problems.

I also hope that the soil replacement has not completely traumatized the plant.

Good luck!!
by Ravensrun65 on April 08, 2004 04:13 AM
Here's an odd question for ya! What color, texture, etc., was the mold? I use old coffee grinds on my roses, and if I haven't dried the grinds in the oven before I use it, sometimes this big orange "bubble" appears....it's actually mold! I just use a peroxide solution to cure the problem. 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water. Same as for seedlings to prevent "damping off". I hope this helps!
Raven

"I would feel more optimistic about a
bright future for mankind if we spent less
time proving that we can outwit Mother Nature
and more time tasting her sweetness and
respecting her seniority."

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: