The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I had an orchid a few years back that I

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by rue anemone on March 19, 2004 04:32 AM
accidently left outside too late in the fall and it was hit by frost and died.

Well guess what!! I am trying another orchid. It is one that has already bloomed and reduced in price twice, but is sending up another stalk from the first one AND down lower on the plant another one is starting to form.

I have no idea what type it is because the tag was lost from the plant. I can`t wait to see the type of flower it has.

-
 -
by rue anemone on March 22, 2004 09:34 PM
Does anyone else grow orchids?

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 22, 2004 10:14 PM
rue, we've had orchid growers in the past, i just can't think of who they are! if it comes to mind, i'll let you know!
by Will Creed on March 23, 2004 12:32 AM
Yes, I have grown Orchids in the past.

Will Creed
by rue anemone on March 26, 2004 02:39 AM
WIll you said in the past? What kinds did you grow? And can I ask why you aren`t growing any now? Did you have good luck with them?

-
 -
by Will Creed on March 28, 2004 04:21 AM
Rue,

I mostly grew Phalaenopsis and Paphiopedilum in a leanto rooftop greenhouse that I had in my New York City apartment. I had hundreds of other plants as well and it took lots of my spare time.

About a year or so after my son was born, there was a fire in my apartment building that started in the apartment below us. Everyone got out OK, but the firefighters had to hack through the floor, roof and greenhouse to vent the fire. It was in mid January so the Orchids and most of the other tropical plants froze.

I know that sounds like a tragic story, but in some ways it was for the best. We relocated to a larger apartment, but without a rooftop terrace and greenhouse. That meant fewer plants (and no Orchids) and more time available for my young son, who is now 16. It was a good tradeoff for me.
by afgreyparrot on March 30, 2004 08:37 AM
[nutz] My daughter gave me an orchid a few days ago for my birthday (phalaenopsis) and it has me baffled!
How do you water something that isn't in DIRT?
(I have some air plants, but I just mist them everyday, and let them swim in a bowl of water about once a week.)
But this orchid is in a pot of bark or something! And she gave me an extra bag of this "bark" stuff with it! (Why?)
I have every kind of plant you can imagine, inside and out, but never had an orchid. I don't want it to die because my daughter gave it to me, and I am SOOO sentimental this way!
So, I'm gonna keep track of this post to see what orchid info I can gleen!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Phil and Laura on March 30, 2004 05:21 PM
Cindy, I will tell you what I know, not a orchid expert, but I have had a phalaenopsis(moth orchid) before. Don't use potting soil, stick with the bark mixture, and replace it about once a year.I would set mine in the kitchen sink with about 4" of water in it for a hour, once a week. The moth orchid requires low to medium light and temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees, and they do not like DRAFTS ! Room humidity is about the same as what you are comfy at,40-60% use a balanced fertilizer twice a month with a lil fish emulsion at each feeding [grin] Phil
by rue anemone on March 31, 2004 05:27 AM
Hundreds of other plants WOW! I bet it was beautiful! Sad and scary about the fire but they say every cloud has a sliver lining.

I water my orchid once a week too. The water runs right through the bark. Then to help with humidty I set the pot in it`s saucer that is filled with pebbles and water.

I`m not sure what kind I have but I wonder if my house is too cold. We keep our temperature at 62-64.

-
 -
by Phil and Laura on March 31, 2004 06:18 AM
Rue, check this out and let us know which orchid you have! [wayey] Orchid Pics
by rue anemone on April 01, 2004 05:48 AM
As soon as it blooms I`ll let you guys know.

-
 -
by Will Creed on April 03, 2004 11:34 PM
Cindy,

I have written an article on the care of Phalaenopsis orchids that I would be happy to e-mail to you (or anyone else), if you send your e-mail address to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: