The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fern failure

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: fern care| Next thread: Fern help please... »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on March 09, 2004 07:19 PM
During the failure of my first fern, I decided not to try another but decided that doing so I would not learn from my mistakes. Almost a month ago I purchased another one about 8" and have left it in the same pot (as advised) so it would get used to its new enviroment. It sits on a glass table by a window with filtered (mini blinds) lighting. I mist it maybe every other day and have watered it throughly twice. The drainage is great;flows right through. Now it has some fronds that are either brown and/or leggy [Eek!] None of the plants are near a heating source. What must I do?????? I've seen some people who have theirs outside already and they look great. I'm in GA where in the past few weeks the temps have varied from 50-81 degrees in the daytime and their plants are are outside. [Frown] What must I do?????
by papito on March 11, 2004 04:58 PM
Hi Syl, I only have asparagus ferns outdoor, so I don't have that much experience with ferns grown indoors. Here's a site that might be of some help.

Growing Ferns

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Will Creed on March 11, 2004 10:27 PM
I conclude that the soil is too dry and/or the light is inadequate. In decent light, your fern will need water more than twice in a month. It might even need watering twice per week. The fact that the water runs right through is another indication that the rootball has gotten so dry that it doesn't absorb water, so the water just passes right through.

Let you fern sit in water for about 30 minutes so that it can wick it up and get completely saturated. Then water it again each time the surface of the soil feels slightly damp.

If your window faces north or east, then open those blinds all the way.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fern care| Next thread: Fern help please... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: