The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

iresine (red)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Invasive plants and vines| Next thread: Iris »
Back to Thread index
by prairie girl on July 12, 2006 04:24 PM
i am wondering about this lovely red plant,
i love the deep red foliage, but is it supposed to remain straight and tall at about 12inches or so, or should i let it fall and spread out....

it also seem to want a drink everyday....is this normal?

i guess my question is what should this plant look like?
Milli

mfkhan
by plantqueen on July 13, 2006 08:26 AM
Hi Milli! Could you get a picture of this plant and we could help you out more?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by prairie girl on July 15, 2006 05:43 PM
Here it is...

-

mfkhan
by jonni13 on July 15, 2006 08:12 PM
I have iresine growing outside. They do love water. They have fairly succulent stems. They will also get very leggy and flop over. But you can cut them back and they will reward you with more lush foliage. They also root very easily and you can have more and more plants.
Here is a pic of mine in January.
 -
It looks like you have the type with more rounded leaves. I have read about them but hadn't seen any before.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by prairie girl on July 17, 2006 09:02 AM
thanks...so it is a thirsty plant. I think mine will have to remain indoors until it is well established, and larger,
then maybe i can keep it outside next summer.
Milli

mfkhan
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 02:47 AM
Those are very very pretty. I'll have to keep my eye out for some. I'd like some for my apartment. I love having colorful plants in my apartment during the winter.

-
 -
by prairie girl on July 26, 2006 02:40 PM
i actually found a way to deal with the constant watering...i bought 1 of those watering bulbs that have terracotta stems.
the stem is about 3-4 inches deep and goes right into the pot. it is filled with water then a plastic bulb that hold about 4-5 ounces of water goes into the terracotta stem. that water is slowly released into the soil over 2-3 weeks.
whew!!!!

mfkhan
by plantqueen on July 27, 2006 02:25 AM
That is a very pretty plant! I will have to watch for one of those also. That would add color to my house. Most of my houseplants are only green.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Invasive plants and vines| Next thread: Iris »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: