The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The Orchid is here

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on July 07, 2006 12:05 AM
I don't know how I did it but I missed the mail yesterday so the orchid spent another day in the mail box.

It looks like it feel apart during the trip. But I planted all 4 pieces of root I could find. None of the leaves stayed on the plants so I guess I'm out of luck but I decided to try anyway. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thankyou for sending them to me Nor. Do you know what kind they are by any chance?
by Tonya on July 07, 2006 04:07 AM
I SOOOO hope they come back for you Tammy! I love Orchids, but they HATE me! [Big Grin] I have had several and have killed them all within a week...even following the instructions to the letter.... [nutz]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by plantqueen on July 07, 2006 07:05 AM
Where did you get the Orchid?

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by tkhooper on July 08, 2006 04:02 AM
Nor sent it to me from Malaysia. I don't know what kind it is yet but I'm hoping she will let me know.

Most of the leaves have fallen off so I'm not sure it's got a chance but I have my fingers crossed.

From what I've read the alpine orchids are easier to care for than the ones from sealevel so I'm hoping this are the mountainous ones.

I went out today and got them orchid potting soil. I couldn't find the fertilizer for them but I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll find it before they need it.

I got a nice looking plant and candlestand to use as a humidity tray for it. Now I just have to find a pretty black pot to put it in. In the meanwhile I have it in a green plastic pot.

I bet you can tell I'm excited.

-
 -
by plantqueen on July 08, 2006 04:43 AM
I would be very excited also. That is so awesome! Orchids are so beautiful.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 08, 2006 09:42 PM
Hi Tammy...
Glad u have received them safely...Da Orchids do not needs soil..coz they dont like their feet to b wet... in da wild they cling to tree trunks.. but what people do is put them in a pot with holes... they need good air circulation too... n in da pot put pieces of brick o charcoal if u have..n better still some rotting wood that can hold some moisture... s long s there is some greenery da orchids will still survive..they r very easy...
Happy gardening to u...have to rush..da children r waiting for me..want us to take 'em to da beach...
[wavey] norhaini

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 12:17 AM
Thanks Nor,

I have one that still has green leaves on it. I'll cross my fingers that it survives. I really appreciate you sending me these.

-
 -
by nmlAlba-dC15 on July 09, 2006 03:16 AM
Tammy... do not throw away any until they have really shrivelled up n totally brown..even if there r no more green leaves... if there is still some green on da stem... there is alaways a chance that it will grow a new shoot.... sorry i do not know their names except da oncidium which is known s Golden Shower Orchid... da others r Dendrobiums.... not sure if i did send u a cattleya...most probably not coz da baby/shoot is a little bigger with fatter stem...thus rather bulky....
Happy gardening...
[wavey]

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 03:35 AM
Wow Golden Shower Orchid. What I lovely name. I sure hope that one survives. I've got all four of them in the pot. I never through a plant away until it is completely shriveled up. I made that mistake with a passionflower bloom someone gave me once. I thought because it had closed that it was dead. Boy did I get in trouble for that one. So now I wait, and wait, and wait. I guess I'm learning patience. I'm going to go look up Golden Shower Orchid on the image search engine. I can't wait to see what they look like. And write it in my journal. Researching the garden is almost as much fun as composting. But not quite.

-
 -
by Triss on July 09, 2006 11:45 AM
Tammy, Good luck with your new orchids. I hope they do well for you!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: