The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

frozen tips on hydrangea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: frozen peace lily| Next thread: fruit dip »
Back to Thread index
by mrsmessy on November 29, 2005 09:55 PM
This morning I looked at my beautiful but dormant hydrangea and noticed that the recent warm spell had started it budding. Then a cold snap turned the buds brown. This week it started budding again and I wondered if this was going to prove to be a problem in the spring - having sprouted twice when it's only going to get cold again. It survived being crushed by a tree last year and I would hate to lose it to a cold spell. Advice anyone?

-
Bev
by peppereater on November 30, 2005 12:04 AM
Hydrangeas are pretty tough. Have you had drought this year? Sometimes drought makes plants do wierd things...last year bradford pears tried to bloom in the fall around here.
If it were mine, I'd just water the hydrangea well after the weather cools again, and wait 'til spring to do anything else. You can prune it back then.
by cinta on November 30, 2005 02:43 AM
It depends on which one you have. I have one that I do not know the name but it is one that blooms on old wood.

I would not do any prune projects until after it blooms if you want to cut anything off. Or you will not get any blooms at all.

After the first frost I put garbage bags filled with leaves around the small ones I have. The big one I let it do what it may. Some years they are full with blooms other years I get a couple of flowers.

They have newer ones that are good for cold areas that bloom on new wood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by JV on December 05, 2005 02:20 AM
peppereater mine are outside still blooming and real green. This is my first time to have them. I will bring them inside when it gets colder. Will that be a problem? They are in pots due to sorry soil kills everything I plant in it. Bringing it back to life a little at a time but pots are so much easier.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by peppereater on December 05, 2005 02:38 AM
J.V. ...I know that many deciduous plants like a dormant period. You might try to harden them off by keeping them in a sheltered spot, then pile mulch around the pots after the soil has cooled thoroughly. Have you had any frost yet?
by JV on December 05, 2005 03:41 AM
Yes peppereater had very light frost Thursday they seemed to come through that ok. Thanks for the advise I will try that.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: frozen peace lily| Next thread: fruit dip »
Back to Thread index