The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purple Passion

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Purple Passion| Next thread: Purple passion pests »
Back to Thread index
by cole11579 on November 27, 2005 02:57 PM
I have recently been given a Purple Passion Plant. I would love to meet people who have them and can teach me what I need to know, so that my new plant will make it more than a couple weeks. [wavey] [wavey]

Cole--Purple Passion Lover

You have to leave the past behind to move into the future......
by Patty S on November 27, 2005 06:06 PM
I was told that it's nearly impossible to kill Purple Passion plants, but I loved mine to death a few years ago... by overwatering it! It's 1 of those few plants that will TELL you when it gets thirsty, by looking a little droopy & sad... Then & only then you should water it! (It'll perk right up again, within a very short time.) I got another 1 & it's been perfectly happy, being watered "on demand"!

-
 -
by cole11579 on November 28, 2005 03:50 AM
Hi Patty, Thank you very much for the information. The other question I have is, if my purple passion should be kept in sun light or indirect light. I have heard both ways. To be honest with you, I have tried both ways and my purple passion grows much better indirect light. Away from the window. One other question is what other plants are similar to the purple passion, that will look nice with it?

by Patty S on November 28, 2005 09:38 AM
Nicole, I've had my Purple Passion plant in bright light areas as well as low light areas, & it doesn't seem to make much difference. I've heard that they'll flower if they're in bright light (or outdoors in the summer) but mine has never done that. (Also heard that its flower is orange, of all things... from a purple plant! [shocked] although I've never seen the flower, myself.)

I don't like putting any plant IN a window where it'll get the full day's sun, because I think it just bakes them when the heat from the direct sunshine is magnified, so close to glass. (The same potted houseplants might do well in full sun outside in the summertime, but they don't get the intense heat out there, the way they do in a window.) I don't know what the experts would say, but I think that a "sun loving" plant is perfectly happy in a bright, sun-lit room.

I grow mostly "easy plants" indoors, as my Green Thumb is slightly underdeveloped, especially with houseplants! If you're wanting to have real (easy) plants in the house, rather than silk ones (dust-catchers, in my book!), I'd tell you that besides your Purple Passion, go with Pothos, Wandering jew, Fairy jade & Spider plants (all medium to high light plants, which root easily in water). You might want to read the topic we had going earlier this month "Plants that live in water"... Maybe you'll get some ideas from it. I believe there's also a list of easy house plants within that thread.

In answer to your last question, I'm of the opinion that ALL house plants look nice together! With their different shades of greens (and other colors) the contrasts are nice, & some, as with Purple Passion, offer texture to a group of plants together.

I have some little Fairy jade starts here, that I'd be happy to put in the mail if you'd like to have some. (If so, send me a PM with your address.) See a photo of my Fairy Jade here and a more recent one here (I'm finding out that like the Purple Passion plant, Fairy jade is another one that's "nearly impossible to kill" !)

-
 -
by cole11579 on November 28, 2005 09:53 AM
Wow Patty, that plant is beauitful. I have to be honest with you here. I am new to this site. I am loving it but still learning. I'm not sure how to PM you. Please let me know. I also have no idea how the mailing plant thing works. I have no seeds to trade you. I am not only new to this site but I am also new to plants. I have killed almost every plant I have ever had. I got my purple passion from a friend and I love it.

Thank you so much for all your help. I look forward to chatting with you.

Nicole

by tkhooper on December 02, 2005 06:36 AM
Hi Nicole,

I have a purple passion plant and I water it almost every day with half strength all purpose plant food in the water. Of course my plant is trying to take over the entire window where it is placed. It is an east facing window so it gets morning sun and it doesn't mind at all. This is a great plant for twinning around trellis' and stuff. I shapped two hangers into heart shapes and then intertwinned them. Then I put the vines interlaced around the wire. I'm not the best landscape artist even indoors but it's nice and keeps them from climbing all over. I cut them back all the time and put the cuttings in water and then after they root I give them to friends. Don't let them flower though because the flowers stink really bad.

-
 -
by cole11579 on December 04, 2005 07:33 AM
Hi anybody, I have a quick question. A friend that I have met on this site has sent me some seeds and some baby Jade plants. This question is going to sound so stupid but this question shows how new I am to plants. I have a pot and some planting soil but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to just put the baby jades in the dirt and put dirt over them or if I am supposed to bury the roots a so that the leaves are sticking up.....I am lost and I've gone online to look and have had no luck....somebody? anybody? Help!.........Nicole

by cole11579 on December 04, 2005 01:11 PM
Okay I don't need a response to my last post. I found the information that I was looking for.........Thanks anyways, but if somebody knows a lot about Jade plants I would appreciate any information that could keep me from killing my new baby plant.........

by Jiffymouse on December 12, 2005 12:08 AM
bury the roots and leave the leaves sticking up. only water when the soil is dry. fertilize lightly once in a while. lots of good light, i don't put mine in full sun.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Purple Passion| Next thread: Purple passion pests »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: