The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Leggy Sheff.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: LEGGY RADISHES!| Next thread: leland cypress utrning brown »
Back to Thread index
by Maine-ly Bees on June 19, 2006 07:53 AM
I have a very large but leggy Sheff. I have had this plant for 7+ years and it is very important to me. It is in a large pot on the floor of my livingroom and everyone admires it.

I would really like to see it more full and bushy. I am very leery about cutting it back for fear that I might do it too much damage.

Question 1, should I cut it low in the woody sections?

Question 2, can I root the cuttings if I do cut them off, perhaps in the same pot?

I am not going to do anything to this plant until I feel confident that I am not going to ruin it. [dunno]

Thanks for your advice. David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Jiffymouse on June 19, 2006 08:57 AM
if you cut it back, one branch at a time, you can cut into the wooded part, i'd only go about 1/3 down, and no more than 1/3 of the branch at the time until you get new growth on that branch.

to root the cuttings, the only part that will root is the green part, near the top. you can either dip them in rooting hormone and stick them in the mother pot or in water. loz has done very well with this process, i'll try to get her to post some of her pictures!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: LEGGY RADISHES!| Next thread: leland cypress utrning brown »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: