The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

violets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Lexie on June 19, 2006 12:32 AM
My neighbor asked me to get her violet to bloom as she does not have a good place for her plant to get some sun and good light. I do and my plants bloom. Her violet is a very full green
( many leaves) plant but no blooms. I do not see any hope for blooms and does anyone have any suggestions .

Thanks!
by joclyn on June 19, 2006 06:06 AM
what type of pot is it in and what type of soil?

for years i'd never had luck with them blooming until i moved to an apt that had a west facing window. that plant grew tremendously and bloomed almost contantly (when i moved into my house all my plants were left in the car overnight and froze [Frown] )

i was given some a few years ago - back to the no blooming due to lack of proper light. then someone gave me a plant stand with grow lights. AND i transplanted the av's from the one pot they were all in to smaller pots. i chose to put them in the african violet self-watering pots.

wow! they started growing immediately (they'd not been doing well in the other pot) and they bloom all the time under the grow lights. i've got them set to go on at sunrise and off at sunset.

does your neighbor have a south or west facing window to put it in? also, switching it to the av pot might help - they really do need a constant supply of moisture (and that's hard to manage in regular pots without overwatering, which they don't like).
by gomerp618 on June 19, 2006 06:55 AM
It's great you have such luck with a west facing window. Growing up my grandma always had hers in a north facing window and that is where I have mine. They have the benefit of the sliding glass door. 2 of mine bloom freely, the others aren't blooming as of yet but growing nicely.

I have one of those ones with the pink leaves and I have yet to see it bloom, I wish it would!

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by gomerp618 on June 19, 2006 07:00 AM
Here's my pink leaf one. I didn't even know it was one of those when I got it, but suddenly all my leaves started looking like they had sickly brown spots on them. I just kept an eye on them and the leaves kept changing until they were pink.
 -

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by joclyn on June 19, 2006 04:23 PM
oh, wow!! that's a really cool-looking plant! i have never seen one with pink varigations! i wonder what color the flowers are?

well, after thinking about it, the window was a bit south-west...not full west.
by CatherineC on June 19, 2006 06:45 PM
-i have had pretty good luck with av's.i put mine in east window. if your leaves start looking bad cut them out. then water with some tea water.( not real strong). remember always water them from the bottom.i have found that if i cut my dead blooms off it helps.

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
by CatherineC on June 19, 2006 06:55 PM
just another tip. i have city water also so i take a big glass fill it up let sit set a few days then use it to water my plants.

JUST STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES
by joclyn on June 20, 2006 05:47 AM
regardless of what kind of water you have (unless it's well stuff), you should always let the water sit so that the chlorine dissapates.

24 hours is usually good enough.

i always keep a supply of water for watering my plants in plastic jugs.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: