The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Terrarium Forum?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Terracotta post and saucers| Next thread: Terrarium Lighting »
Back to Thread index
by Maine-ly Bees on June 17, 2006 10:40 AM
How about it?

I have a thirty gallon aquarium that my wife and I would like to turn into a terrarium. Problem is, we're not really sure where to start.

I need ideas for everything.....plants, rocks, medium, (we want to put in some anoles also) can we do that?

I have really never created one before but we are pretty excited about it. (The fish are getting really boring).

Any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!! David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Jiffymouse on June 17, 2006 03:57 PM
hi david... since terrariums are usually houseplants, they fall under the houseplant section, so you are in the right place [thumb] i think we won't be adding any other sections any time soon, but thank you for the idea!
by Bill on June 17, 2006 04:42 PM
by Maine-ly Bees on June 18, 2006 02:45 AM
Thanks Jiffymouse.

Thanks Bill!!! That was all great info. Not sure where to go to find some of those plants though. I guess the web will be the place to start.

Has anyone else got any experience with terrariums?? Should I use the light fixture that it on my tank now (24" flourecent tube)?? My tank is in a rather low light area of my livingroom so light will be needed. Plus we like to have the light on at night while we are in there.

Thanks again!!!
David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine
by margaret e. pell on June 18, 2006 05:48 AM
(The fish are getting really boring)

What will you do with the fish? I'd like some ideas on that, too!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 12:54 PM
the flourescent will be just like a grow light, so that is a plus!
by Maine-ly Bees on June 19, 2006 03:12 AM
Hi Margaret, I will be giving the fish to my sister and her family. (My wife won't let me flush them [Frown] . )

I'll let everyone know when we start this little project. Thanks for all the advice!!

David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine
by gardeningmomma on June 19, 2006 08:42 AM
My dad had great bottle gardens when I was a kid. Some of the plants I remember are the ivies and polka dot plants.
Good Luck!

Margaret- Most pet stores will take fish back. Also call up local Day Cares, sometimes they have establised tanks and they are only to happy to take on additional fish. Please whatever you do, don't flush them!!!
by margaret e. pell on June 23, 2006 11:09 AM
Don't worry, gardeningmomma, they will NOT die by my intent, that's why I asked for suggestions!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by gardeningmomma on June 23, 2006 11:38 AM
Thank you [Wink] I've returned our fish before. Twice, we did it when we were re-modelling. It was heart breaking, but at least I knew they were going somewhere they would be cared for.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Terracotta post and saucers| Next thread: Terrarium Lighting »
Back to Thread index