The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

calamondin orange

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Calamondin Orange| Next thread: Calamondin orange tree »
Back to Thread index
by apples on February 13, 2004 09:20 AM
I've just noticed that my orange plant/tree has just started growing a new flower(one flower only) This worries me because it started developing fruit from the last buch of flowers(over 100 which smelt amasing and took a long time to count) a cuple weeks ago. at this same time it also started growing new shoots on the oposit side of the plant of this new flower. I week ago I fertalized it with a balenced plant food used for bonzai. It has over 20 oranges but the ones on the side with new shoots are not developing. Lastly it has been losing a few leaves here and there that have turned yellow. My question is with 20 oranges new shoots and being fertilized is the plant under alot of stress and how can I help it? Actually if I were to cut of one of the shoots to use as a cutting how long should I wait?

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Will Creed on February 14, 2004 10:49 PM
Apples,

If you have 20 oranges, that is quite an accomplisment, even if some of them are not developing fully.

Do you rotate you tree a quarter turn every week? If not, it's possible that the tree is not getting even light all the way areound. That would cause uneven development of the fruit.

You haven't described anything that is evidence of stress.

You can take a cuting at any time. No need to wait. New growth cuttings root more easily than older growth cuttings
by apples on February 15, 2004 03:38 AM
Well thats good to know! I just thought it was strange that the flower came out while the oranges were just starting to develop and I know that plants produce flowers speratically when under stress incase they die. I've just had some bad luck growing plants and I guess I just need to be reashured every once and a while. [dunno] Pretty much all the flowers that I pollinated turned to oranges but with so many and the plant being resonably small I was scared it would harm it and selectivly picked of alot leaving one per shoot/branch. Do you think the selectivly left oranges helped them to get the energy needed to keep growing? I could ask questions forever! Plants are so interesting! [grin] Thanks again Will for the good news/info. One more for the road. [Big Grin] Would the cutting do good rooting in water or is it best just to stick it in the dirt?

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Will Creed on February 16, 2004 03:32 AM
I don't know that the thinning out of the fruit helped. Generally, plants will take care of business themselves and sacrifice when that is required.

It would root the cutting in damp potting mix and enclose the pot and cutting inside a clear plastic tent to preserve the soil moisture and the humidity.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Calamondin Orange| Next thread: Calamondin orange tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: