The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dracaena problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: dracaena plant - how to propogate?| Next thread: Dracaena question »
Back to Thread index
by apples on February 10, 2004 04:31 AM
I went up to Loblaws to see if I could find pots to transplant my jade division but they didn't have any. I had all this money and I was in a plant section and didn't know what to do so I went crazy and brought my plant colection in my room from 18 up to 23. I didn't realy think about where I was going to put them. One of them is a dracaena reflexa veriegata. It's a realy delicate plant I think because I had it about a meter away from the light it requires and two of the lower leaves have turned yellow. I think the cold may have kind of got to it also on the way home. The leaves don't seem to be weeker or wilting, with proper care will they come back to thier normal colour? It's in a 3&1/2 inch pot and it's about eight inches tall, should it have more room? Thanks in advance.

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Jiffymouse on February 10, 2004 08:16 PM
apples, once a leaf turns yellow, it is a goner. not the plant, just the leaf. as for the rest of your question, i can't answer that.
by apples on February 10, 2004 10:09 PM
Poor little leaves [tears] Thanks Jiffy
I'm having trouble finding specific info on this plant but have read that it's hard do grow [dunno] Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Will Creed on February 11, 2004 02:48 AM
The variegated reflexas are very pretty plants. They are not particularly delicate, but they don't like cold and they don't like soil that stays too moist. Overpotting is the biggest problem they face.

Leave your new plant in its pot. Place it in a north or east window. Water it thoroughly as soon as the surface of the soil feels dry. It will lose a few lower leaves while it is adapting to its new home. Throw away any discolored leaves.

If you are consistent with your watering and don't move it around. it will adapt nicely. By spring, it may be ready to go into a 5 inch pot, but not before then.

One other thought: If your tap water is on the hard side, use filtered, distilled or rainwater instead.
by apples on February 12, 2004 12:36 AM
Thanks Will.
I was thinking of putting a lamp over it's general location because there are a few ivies in this area that are in alot of shade. How far away from the the plant should I put it or should I try aiming it away from it? Sometime next week I'l try to post a pic of the location cause I'm not to shure of the ivies light needs come to think of it.

-
by nitall on February 13, 2004 12:00 AM
Hello apples.I have a number of Dracaena's. I found the perfect site. Try www.dracaena.com I got some pretty good information from it.
Hope this helps.

Nita
by Will Creed on February 14, 2004 10:41 PM
Apples,

If it is a regular incandescent light, it will not help either your reflexa or your ivies; light is emitted from the wrong part of the spectrum for plants. If it is a fluorescent light, then it should be placed as close as possible so that the light still falls over most of the leaves. Fluorescent lights burn cool so closeness is not a problem as it is with incandescents.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dracaena plant - how to propogate?| Next thread: Dracaena question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: