The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Quick SnakePlant ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Quick snake plant question| Next thread: Quick tomato question »
Back to Thread index
by Maine-ly Bees on June 14, 2006 08:11 AM
We have a giant Snakeplant in our breakroom here at work. Last week I helped myself to two small "sections". At home I cut the very tall leaves and planted the two root sections with the small new leaves in a clay pot with AV potting mix. I have three long leaf sections left over, I think I can root them into new plants but I'm not sure I know how. When rooting these cuttings do I use the top part of the leaf or the botton "stem" part? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Jiffymouse on June 14, 2006 02:14 PM
to root them, stick the cuttings with the cut part down in the soil. i put mine in the same pot as the original plant, that way i don't over water, one of my worst habits. stick them about an inch in the soil so the leaf will stand up. but make sure the end you put in the soil is the end that was toward the soil to start with. does that make sense? if you put it in the soil upside down, it will just die.
by Maine-ly Bees on June 17, 2006 10:45 AM
Thanks Jiffymouse!!

I planted the two "rooted" sections in a clay pot and put them on a west window sill here in my home office.

I put the cuttings in another clay pot with just a little soil on an east window sill in my basement workshop.

Wish me luck!!!

David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Jiffymouse on June 17, 2006 04:01 PM
luck to you. they are pretty fool proof, as long as you don't over water. they actully like to get a little on the dry side...
by Tonya on June 18, 2006 05:10 AM
I have never heard of this plant...what is it? Does anyone have a pic? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 12:52 PM
sanseveria... aka snake plant or mother in laws tongue...
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 02:20 PM
here is a picture from the texas a & m university plant picture website

-
by Tonya on June 18, 2006 09:42 PM
I had never heard it called that..thanks, Jiffy!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Maine-ly Bees on June 19, 2006 03:14 AM
Thanks Jiffymouse!! That is a fantastic pic. Someday I would like to have a nice big pot of those growing in the corner of my livingroom!!

David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Quick snake plant question| Next thread: Quick tomato question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: