The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hibiscus possibly unhappy| Next thread: hibiscus question »
Back to Thread index
by plantingnewb on June 11, 2006 04:29 AM
About 2 years ago I recieved a hibiscus plant.
I guess it was doing fine until last summer I put the pot outside on my deck and I think I brought it back in too late. We had a cold night and after that, the leaves started falling off like crazy. All winter inside, it didn't bloom and didn't look so good. I also had it in a spot that didn't get much light. I'm not sure why I did that. [nutz]
Now this spring I put it back on the deck hoping the sun would help it.
This is what it looks like.
hibiscus
Close up I know the pic is not so great.
Please help.
by angelblossom on June 11, 2006 07:06 AM
planting newb I can't help you ... but When JV comes around he has beautiful hibiscus, I'm sure he can give some info that may help [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by dodge on June 11, 2006 12:02 PM
plantingnewb

If that hib is not a perennial, bringing it inside would spell sure death.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by plantingnewb on June 11, 2006 03:11 PM
Dodge,

The person I recieved it from had it inside for years. I had it inside for almost 2 years.
I only had it outside in the same pot, on my deck for 1 summer, thinking the sun would be good for it.
Is that not ok? [dunno]

Tammy
by Jiffymouse on June 11, 2006 05:45 PM
it needs either more water, or more drainage than it has now. dappled sunlight (what it looks like it has) is perfect for it. it looks like it is recovering from the cold. i have one that i can leave outside, but i am in a much warmer area than you. and when it gets too hot/dry, it wilts like that. check the drainage to make sure it isn't in soggy soil, and if it isn't, water it a little more often.
by JV on June 12, 2006 04:57 AM
planting newb . It needs to come in in the winter as your winters get way too xcold for Hibiscus. I have heard of a hardy that would work outside in your area butr have yet to find it. Never take for inside or shade and put in direct sun as they will burn easy. Like Jiffy said dappled sun will be ok for it and like Dodge said check the moisture in it. They like water but don't like soggy roots. I water mine on my porch about twice a week. Have them in post and bottom water make sure water doesn't get on the leaves as they don't like that.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plantingnewb on June 12, 2006 06:14 AM
It is never left out in the winter & is not in direct sun. It is on my deck under a tree.
I will check the water.
When it was inside I would water it once a week.
How long does it usually need to recover from the cold? It was only out one night.
Thank
Tammy
by JV on June 12, 2006 06:31 AM
Tammy depends on how cold it got and how long it was in this cold. May take up to a month or better to fully recover. When I bring mine inside for the winter I bottom water when the pan has been dry a week or so I will put more water in it. Otherwise I water only about once every other week depending on humidity. Yours should pull right out of it.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plantingnewb on June 12, 2006 11:23 AM
It probably was around 30-40 degrees the night I left it out, but that was 10 months ago. It hasn't been the same since. [tears]
by Jiffymouse on June 12, 2006 03:15 PM
check the roots. and, remember, the damaged leaves will never be the same, you just have to wait for new leaves for it to look right again.
by plantingnewb on June 14, 2006 03:33 PM
"the damaged leaves will never be the same"

Jiffymouse,
That's good to know, I keep looking at the damaged leaves and didn't really notice that there are tiny leaves starting to bud. [clappy]
Thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hibiscus possibly unhappy| Next thread: hibiscus question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: