The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

good philodendron soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Good news but what to do?| Next thread: Good plant for wet area? »
Back to Thread index
by Holly Mignon on June 10, 2006 01:26 PM
I have two different types of philodendrons and it's time to repot them both but I don't know what kind of soil is best for them. Anyone else know? Also a friend told me that putting coffee beans on the top of their soil will help them. Is this true??

Holly Templeton
by margaret e. pell on June 10, 2006 05:30 PM
Hi, Holly [wavey] . I have 2 philo's, too. One's huge (for a house plant) and I think it dreams of its Amazon heritage. The other is smaller and more containable. I have 2 pots of the smaller and another piece of it growing up the big one. I have them all potted in a good quality, store bought with no fertilizers added, potting soil. They are in plastic and glazed ceramic pots, since they like even moisture and not to get very dry. I've never heard of putting coffee beans on top (what a waste of coffee!). I assume this is to raise the acidity of the soil? Mine do fine without it. Tell us about yours. Do you have other plants, too? If you don't, you will [Wink] . That's just what happens.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Triss on June 10, 2006 05:52 PM
I have my two heart leafed philo's in regular soil as well, but it was miracle grow so it had fertilizers in it. They were both tiny things when I started them and are just getting to growing really nicely and filling in their pot and the space around them.

So they like adic soil? I would think used coffee grounds would help with that rather than beans.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Jiffymouse on June 11, 2006 05:27 PM
holly, you have gotten good advice here, and i took your email address out of the post as we don't allow public posting of email addresses because of spam bots.
by Tonya on June 13, 2006 02:45 PM
My philos seem to do quite well in store bought potting soil. I rarely feed them and they grow nicely. Good luck and welcome to the forum! [wavey]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by njoynit on June 17, 2006 01:47 AM
I have some in both potting mix and in ground.My 25 gallon potted philo is in a mix of potting mix(scotts) and whatever came out of flower bed that year with it.My inground ones just die back& re-sprout& actually show life growth wise before the CG ones.
I also got a divsion of a small leafed philo.I really like it.its growing in store potting mix.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Good news but what to do?| Next thread: Good plant for wet area? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: