The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pruning question/butterfly attracting bushes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pruning Question| Next thread: pruning rose bushes »
Back to Thread index
by wannaBgreenthumb on October 24, 2005 02:40 AM
Okay, long story short. Moved here in Aug. Since then had hurricane Rita come through and rough up our yard a bit. I have an area where one bush is (multicolored) red verbena. The previous owner placed tags, but some are missing or covered.

The other is a really pretty shade of purple and has a single flower growing at the end of each long branch. It has long branches from the base of the plant and can get 4ft tall with 2 leaves opposite each other every few inches. Sorry for lengthy description, no tag on this one [Smile]

My question, how and when to prune back? I did prune what was laid over so we could mow/edge. I was wondering if this is a plant that needs to be cut back to a few inches above ground or much less and if so- when? It is kind of wild-looking but cutting what I have has improved it somewhat.
Thanks in advance,
wannabe

God created you unique...
don't die a cheap copy!
by Longy on October 28, 2005 07:30 PM
Generally speaking, prune the plant after flowering. Just tip pruning the old flowers is probably enough. The longer ones could be pruned back more heavily to induce more branching. . I think over pruning in Autumn can reduce the chances of the plant making it thru winter. Regular tip pruning throughout the year after flowering is probably best. For damaged branches, just take off as necessary as the damaged area can allow fungus and pests to get in.

-
The secret is the soil.
by obywan59 on October 30, 2005 04:53 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you are talking about lantana, sometimes called shrub verbena. They aren't hardy here, but I have successfully overwintered them inside in the past. Cut them back just before growth begins in spring as much as you like, because they bloom on new wood. Also, if you have the time, you can pinch out the tips of developing branches to promote bushiness. Being in southeast Texas, you don't have the hardiness problem.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by wannaBgreenthumb on November 01, 2005 11:58 PM
Thanks for your input. I didn't want to stress the plants out. I had to cut them back enough to look decent since they probably needed shaping up when we bought the house in Aug and just got wilder looking since the hurricane winds. I think we're in zone 8-9? (still learning LOL)
wannabe

God created you unique...
don't die a cheap copy!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pruning Question| Next thread: pruning rose bushes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: