The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: potting| Next thread: Potting for Indoors Today »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on January 28, 2004 06:38 PM
When potting a cane type plant, do you have to put a few inches of soil in the bottom or just sit it in the pot then fill with soil? I'm trying to get the cane in as much of the pot as possible. Others I've seen have theirs (looks to me) almost to the bottom of the leaves. HELP [dunno] I've gotten to be such a nut for plants and like other living things; want them to be healthy and happy [Wink]
by Jiffymouse on January 28, 2004 09:31 PM
syl, this is what i do. i put a couple of inches (depending on the pot and cane to be planted) of soil in the bottom, then put the cane on top of the soil and fill it in around it. as long as you make sure you have a node or joint or 2 covered with the soil, you are in good shape. if you want more in the dirt, you can, but it isn't necessary unless there are roots growing from an upper node.
by Will Creed on January 28, 2004 11:31 PM
What kind of cane type plant do you have? The planting depth can vary from one species to another? Is this a cutting that has rooted or are you trying to root it in soil?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: potting| Next thread: Potting for Indoors Today »
Back to Thread index