The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sigh... problems with my fittonia...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: sift or not for bed| Next thread: Sight Seeing »
Back to Thread index
by Canadian CrabGrass on January 26, 2004 06:12 PM
Got myself a fittonia a few weeks ago, and I'm beginning to regret it...

The morning after I got the plant I found a tiny slug on the outside of the pot [shocked] I've been really examining it every day since and I haven't seen any other, so it seemed to be a lone wanderer ( or so I hope ! )

It's been growing nicely, but in the past few days I find the leave tips are turning brown and dry and I'm wondering what could be wrong. New growth isn't affected, it's the older leaves that are drying up. For once I'm sure that it's not over watering, so what else could be causing this ?
by barleychown on January 26, 2004 07:06 PM
Mine did this very thing...I was told it was lack of humididty. Now, because this plant holds a special meaning for me, I was/am willing to baby it...

I took one of my huge clear glass mixing bowls, and put it over the plant, to form a sort of terrarium...since then it has been VERY happy, even grown back the leaves that it was missing.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by barleychown on January 26, 2004 07:12 PM
Here are the posts about mine...maybe something in them will help you?

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000259

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000384

Good luck to you...they really are pretty plants (when they are happy! [Roll Eyes] )

-
 -

by Canadian CrabGrass on January 26, 2004 07:40 PM
Humidity... why am I not surprised ? [Wink]

I'll try to set up a little terrarium for it, because let's face it, with the cold we've been having the furnace has been on just about constantly and it's dry as a bone inside the house.

Thanks for the help !
by barleychown on January 26, 2004 07:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you buy a fern at the same time? I bet they would love
to be together in a terrarium! [grin]

-
 -

by Canadian CrabGrass on January 27, 2004 02:43 AM
No, it was a pepperomia, and while I had expected all kind of problems with that, so far it's been going absolutely great

I adore ferns... and yet I can't seem to be able to keep any of them, no matter what I do ( or don't do ) so I gave up on them and content myself with admiring them from far away. I read somewhere that they're very sensitive to polluant in the house, and I hate to admit it, but I'm a smoker ( Hey, I can't be perfect, can I ? [Big Grin] )

The fittonia is now in its own little tent... looks pretty silly but if it helps...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sift or not for bed| Next thread: Sight Seeing »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: